1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Help a clueless western rider

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by ibsammy, Mar 7, 2017.

1. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

To carry on from my what's in for english, whats in for western? Unfortunately my saddle is pretty tacky, its a huge working saddle, with "Hi point" written on the fenders, no silver, kinda medium brown. It's been a decade since I've shown western either so I have nothing, nor do I know a ton about what the proper apparel is.

This is for a local show, so I don't need top quality stuff, but I don't want to look completely out of place either (at least when I'm on the horse so you can't see the big black letters on the fenders!)

I added a picture of Celine below, she has a LOT of white. I looked on Schneiders and there seem to be 2 types, the clingy kind and the more starched kind. I'm a 36DD so my biggest goal is something that will contain the girls.

Would something like this work with black jeans, with or without chaps? I'm assuming I'll also need a black belt? Are buckles a thing, or do I just use what comes with the belt? What colors do you think would look good with her? I like turquoise or maybe purple or black? Is there another style I should be looking at entirely? If I wear black jeans, can I get by with really dark brown fat babies?
    Ladies Classy Show Shirt in Ladies Western Clothing

Now onto tack. I saw show bridles pretty cheap on Scheniders, but its hard to tell if they have matching reins. I was planning on getting plain harness leather reins, as that is the color of my saddle. Would it be faux pas to forego silver entirely and just use a single or 2 ear plain harness leather headstall, a normal curb, and harness leather reins?

And to my last question! I have a 5 star in the natural color. Should I get a show pad to cover it, and what color? If Im doing black pants I didn't know if a black pad would be too much black.

And lastly, I plan on riding in a helmet instead of a hat. Is there a best way to go about this? I've had a pretty serious concussion so this is a point I'm not budging on, at least until she has maaaaaaany more miles under her belt.

2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

You can buy a cotton button up shirt in MANY colors at places like JC Penny, Sears, etc. I've even picked up several colors at Walmart.

"Cheap" show tack is cheap for a reason. its very poor quality and has fake silver. also, most people don't use silver show reins, just plain quality reins.

if you are not going to be showing on a regular basis, don't spend a bunch of money on show pads, tack, chaps, etc.

3. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

My responses in bold:

These are just random photos from Google images, but I think they look nice: The horse's are similar to yours. These are the types of colors I would choose:
    This pink/magenta color scheme helps bring out the red in the horse's coat. The pad is a little darker than I would choose, but it still looks nice.
    [​IMG]

The white in her shirt helps to bring out the horse's coat patterns, but the blue is just light enough to not compete with the horse.
    [​IMG]

Sarai and Circle C like this.
  4. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Like Lopin said.....just get a plain color fitted button down shirt....JC Penney has them. Black pants and black saddle blanket, and a scarf to knot around your neck.....you'll be good to go!

kodemiester and manesntails like this.
  5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Your saddle says High Point because it was a trophy saddle.

For local shows just have everything clean, you wear nice jeans and a good fitting sleeved shirt with boots, hat is optional, but makes a better picture if you wear one.

6. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

Thanks for the responses! I really like that cornflower blue with the sorrel paints! I might cheap out to start with western, because we will have zero time to prep so we're just going for the exposure for now. Eventually I'd like to get more competitive, but the shows the first week in April so I have like 3 weeks to prep!

manesntails likes this.
  7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Not sure what the Western Rules are for helmets, but here is a way of making your helmet more Western! Love mine.

IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG

Check out the hellhat posse on FB for the how to make!

GONE ROPING likes this.
  8. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

For now you need to make sure your tack is clean and legal...you do not need anything fancy, its more important that your ride properly and your horse is well behaved.

If you are going to continue showing start watching things like below and pick things up as you find items in your size that you need. When my daughter was little and growing I looked at the clearance sections weekly as I had to replace all of her western and English attire every year. I usually was able to get things at 50% off if I started looking far enough in advance.

Hobby Horse Sale page.
    On Sale!
    Dovers Closeouts
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/closeouts/c/8000/

9. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

We've been showing in starched Q baby Wrangler dark blue jeans, a starched fitted button down, and a well shaped hat. We haven't been wearing chaps. If you're going to wear chaps, they need to fit and match your boots. Black chaps should be worn with black pants.

No sparkly butt or low waist jeans. No sparkly belts.

We put a wool show blanket over a 5 star. I prefer patterned blankets.

We're showing in a roughout training saddle and a non silver tooled headstall with heavy harness leather reins.

Sometimes a scarf is worn.

Hair is in a bun and hairnet. Makeup is subtle. Everything is clean and workmanlike.

Daughter won Western high point at the last show.

You don't need silver. You don't need a "show" shirt. Fit is more important.

10. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

Is that Fergie? Look how soft she is! That's really handy actually. I might scout out and see if anyone else is wearing helmets. Considering *most* people don't around here odds are likely I will be the only one.