Helmets - do you get what you pay for?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by mooselady, Jul 16, 2017.

1. E90Style

E90Style Senior Member

I hear ya. It's hard to change when you find something you really like.

mooselady likes this.
  2. secuono

secuono Senior Member

Certain chemicals in some paints can negatively react with w/e the shell of your helmet is made of.
    If you can figure out which paint will not react, then it should be fine. But the helmet company may have a rule and it could break warranty.
    They are painted when made, so there's at least one type of paint that is safe.

mooselady likes this.
  3. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

Keep in mind that IRH specializes in, um..."complimenting" other manufacturers' designs...and there are fit differences between each helmet model they make, just like there are fit differences between models within other manufacturers' lines. Their products are generally nicely made for the money and they also back them up...I can attest to personal experience with that when a harness prematurely failed on an IRH hat that my daughter was using at the time.

4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

So far so good on that line, started with a velvet one, then bought a 'hard' one, that is the one that saved my life, or at least my brain, in the big accident, hence why I bought third. SO far that have all fitted well, and done their job. I do understand that past performance is no guarantee of future success :D

Nu5ha and E90Style like this.
  5. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

I've also always worn GPA helmets since I can remember, so I've pretty much always buy GPA though I also now have a Kask and a samshield. Im not keen on the dial thing also. What I do like about the hats I have is I can change in interior lining of the helmet that's a big plus for me because in +40 weather I swear like crazy.

6. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I've had a lot of different helmets of a lot of different brands in a wide variety of prices. I've also had quite a few occasions when I was glad I had my helmet.

I still have all my marbles so I'm in the camp that says as long as it's fully certified, it's a good helmet.

Breezah and mooselady like this.
  7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Hot weather makes me swear like crazy as well :rofl::rofl:

My friend was just commenting that she loves her One K, because she can take out the lining and wash it, so handy when it is hot and you are working hard.

Another reason to have two helmets, always have one at the barn...

Just can't bite the bullet on a cheap one, guess I am going to have to push the boat a bit further....

stephanie and Nu5ha like this.
  8. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

Swear and sweat! I tried the one k but I don't think I could ride in it, it just didn't fit 100% I didn't get a head ache but I only had it ok for 3 minutes but i had the feeling if I wear it for 30 mins I would start to get a head ache. quite a lot of people at the barn have the one K and they love it won't wear anything else.

mooselady likes this.
  9. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

I have a big head. And it's pretty dang dense.

So I always go for my Charles Owen helmets! I can only really feel comfortable in them. I buy new, but often I suggest people try out "others" helmets for a ride if they know the person hasn't had a fall in it, just to test feel.

GPA's don't fit me at ALL despite being "in"

10. tlkidding

tlkidding Senior Member

In the US, I think there is only one brand with different technology (cone technology maybe, possibly Devon Aire brand?). Otherwise, they are all pretty much the same as long as they are certified. The additional cost is for unimportant things like the style, as well as other features you might find beneficial such as air vents, brim style, harness, etc.

Also, as a fellow IRH fan, I say don't switch as long as you can find something you like in that brand. I am a long oval in IRH in their helmets without the dial. I've been wearing them since way back when they were Lexington (remember those white helmets with the snap on brim...).