Helmets - do you get what you pay for?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by mooselady, Jul 16, 2017.

1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

100% helmet wearer here, every ride, every time.

I had to buy a new one after my fall, and went for an IRH..because they seem to fit me well, it's my 3rd....I liked the look of the Elite Ultra, so that is what I went for IRH® Elite Ultra Helmet** | Dover Saddlery

Now I want to buy a second helmet, I want to make a lighter color Hellhat, so wondering about the Equi lite IRH® Equi-Lite™ DFS Helmet Pastel Helmet** | Dover Saddlery

But here is the thing, I feel comfortable in my Ultra, and I'm struggling to get my head around the difference in price, and don't want to compromise my safety by cheaping out....so are you safer in a more expensive helmet, will the Lite protect me......

2. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

I've always just gone by whether or not it's ASTM/SEI certified vs. price. As long as it's certified, I feel comfortable putting it on my head.

CJ, Friesiangirl, Circle C and 4 others like this.
  3. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Some price differences are for accessories like the adjustment dial, different kind of visor, modern style, lighter weight etc. Realistically, if they are ASTM approved, so they are approved for jumping, the safety standard is there, everything else is for comfort of the rider.

4. apndi

apndi Senior Member

I couldn't tell you anything about IRH helmets but I've always felt comfortable and safe in my Ovation helmet that cost me about $60 including shipping from amazon. The Elite Ultra helmet is most likely just as safe as the Equi Lite, just made of nicer materials and better looking.

5. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

Personally I'm not a fan of the dial fit type helmets. I would much rather pay a bit more for a helmet with more exact sizing. I've also seen the dials break easily and often.

Alsosusieq2, Nu5ha, Jim_in_PA and 2 others like this.
  6. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

I'm with Preppy'...dial fit is something to break. If you need/want something lighter colored, buy a fitted helmet with a "matte/painted" finish and re-paint to the shade of choice.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I would be worried to paint a helmet, always been told that it might compromise the integrity of the material.

8. E90Style

E90Style Senior Member

I ride in an ovation helmet. It's fairly comfortable. Pretty cheap too. I bought mine from STL for I think $55?

9. E90Style

E90Style Senior Member

What about buying a color cover to go over it so that it is the color you like?

10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Wont work for a Hellhat, need to be able to stick the brim to the helmet...

I'm leary about changing brands, I know that the 3 different IRH helmets I have had have all fitted beautifully, the Troxel before that made my head hurt.