Helmet disinfectant?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Proved Em Wrong, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Proved Em Wrong

Proved Em Wrong Senior Member

Where can I get some? I want to set up pony rides for a fundraiser for my club, but I don't want the kids to ride without helmets because we're using large ponies and a horse (13h-15.1h). The closest tack shop is an hour away and TSC doesn't supply disinfectant. I want something that's strong enough to prevent spreading lice, but not harmful to younger kids. We haven't set up the date yet, or even agreed on doing pony rides, but I'd like to know where I can get some for when we do, if we do. Even if we don't, It's always good to have around.

Any suggestions? I'd like to stay cheap since we're probably going to have to buy 2-3 bottles if they're small.

2. Chow

Chow Senior Member+

I don't know of a spray that will prevent the spread of lice but what about loaning the helmet with those disposable caps they use for cooking or that they use in hospitals, or shower caps like hotels use? With these you won't risk allergies to a disinfectant spray either. You could still use a disinfectant spray to prevent transfer of bacteria or viruses.

3. Tortie_mom

Tortie_mom Senior Member+

^good advice on the lice, and a good way to prevent the growth and spread of most bacteria and many viruses is simple isopropyl alcohol wiped on. And it is not a common allergy, either, and is quite volatile, so it don't leave a residue.

4. AppaloosasRock

AppaloosasRock Senior Member

fabreeze pet or lysol. =]

5. cadance

cadance Senior Member

yeah, Lysol would be my recommendation; whatever they spray in roller skates and bowling shoes should do the trick. The hair cap is also a smart idea as far as lice is concerned (eek!)

6. draftlover

draftlover Senior Member+

The spray they use in shoes is an anti fungal (to avoid spreading athletes foot) I'm not sure if that would be safe for the kids heads.

I agree with the Lysol for disinfecting.

7. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator

Lysol spray or just alcohol, as mentioned, in a pump spray bottle. The latter would be cheaper and as noted, it evaporates quickly, unlike Lysol. If Lysol is chosen, one of the more friendly lighter fragrances (or fragrance-free if available) would be the best choice. Lice is a harder matter to deal with as they are wylie creatures. There's not a whole lot you can do to guard against them; the caps mentioned might help, but not assuredly so.

8. Mat Guard

Mat Guard Registered

Try Helmet & Pad Disinfectants by Matguard. www.helmetandpads.com or www.matguardusa.com
    The product utilizes and patented formula containing 70-75% alcohol along with a chemical that eliminates drying on the skin or surfaces. Let's face it, after riding all day our helmets get pretty funky. Product kills the bacteria in sweat without using a chemical that would be caustic like Lysol or a bleach.