Hello New horse owner here.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mountainmamma, Nov 12, 2018.

?

What would you do if in our situation?

Poll closed Nov 22, 2018.
  1. Take it as a lesson and move on

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Expect the old owner to make this right

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mountainmamma

Mountainmamma Registered

T
    When we went to look at my mare she was totally unhandled that day. And we go to do all the things you talk about doing when going to look at a horse. And the owner of her was so helpful listening and answering our questions and giving us space to . I bonded with my mare right away I think due to that. Wish we would have realized and thought of those things when looking at this guelding. But lesson learned and we will make sure we remember these tips for the next time. I thank you for the advice and feed back.

Alsosusieq2 and bellalou like this.
  2. Mountainmamma

Mountainmamma Registered

Oh I have learned over my life with many things that a have to know my limits and what is above my skill level.
    On top of that if we can not admit to an situation is above our skill level not only are we pushing our selves and doing harm but we are doing damage to the thing we are trying to help by in effect trying to do some thing we are not truly skilled enough to do. :)

I will also take the advice and employment it on starting to work with the next one right away as I think that is another thing I did with my mare and did not even think about it. Although our trainer told us not to.
    I am so thankful to the kindly worded responses and advice. Being a newbie we really want to do things right and learn resonsibly how to see issues and proper care.

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

And not another gelding~!! :LOL:

One thing you keep saying you need to stop thinking about.

Horses get used to you, they don't bond. A dog will become loyal and protect, not hurt you. Horses are like 2yo kids. They do not have the mental capacity of a dog and what they need is not bondong, but correct handling, fair discipline when needed, and an unemotional response to training.

A horse in panic will run right over whatever is in it's way, no matter the length of time you think you've “bonded“ to him. So, always fully employ safe handling no matter how long you've had the horse, how calm and genrle he is.

My Uncle got after me when I was young and said:“Oh, he won't hurt me, he knows me.“
    A man he knew who had a mare he raised from a foal, at this time the mare was 30years old. Every day of the mare's life, he came out in the morning, fed, hayed, watered, brushed her, picked out her feet.

One morning hewent to pick up a hind hoof to pick it out, exactly the same as he always did, and she kicked him in the headand killed him.

Never trust a horse 100%. They are not really capable of much depth of thought, and every horse hurts someone at least once in it's life.

4. Mountainmamma

Mountainmamma Registered

Oh my goodness no we will be looking for another mare for sure. A new trainer may also be on the list.

I thank you for your story about the man and his mare. It is a good thing to be reminded of as a human I do get in that frame of mind and think oh I know this animal and it won't hurt me. But in the end it is just an animal and it has natural wild instincts and we can never for get to take care in putting safety in handling first.

Alsosusieq2 and manesntails like this.
  5. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

I have been blessed with wonderful horses in my life, both mares AND geldings, each have their place, good and bad. I truly do believe that horses do "bond" with their owners, as my gelding, when he was younger, would do anything for me that was asked and go anywhere with me. When I walk out of the barn and he is in his stall, while the 3 mares are eating or relaxing, he goes to his stall door and waits till I return or hears me, then will visibly relax. Some people just don't understand that between a true horse person and their horse.

Don't discount a good gelding, as not all geldings are as you have seen with this one horse. A horse, regardless of the sex, just is not for that person, or it was handled wrong, holes in it's training, etc. and that can go for a mare as well. Time and time I say, take each horse as an individual, NOT lump them together in one category or the other.

I also don't believe that "every" horse has hurt someone in their life...as I have ones now who have never hurt anyone. Remember, there is 3 sides to a story, their side, your side, and the truth. Take each horse and yes, be mindful of them, what they are doing, the herd hierarchy, and be alert, this is basic for EVERY good horse person.

6. Mountainmamma

Mountainmamma Registered

Thank you for your response. I don't know if a horse can truly bond with a person or not. And I know there are many beliefs in the horse world on training and other things. All I know is a defiantly feel my mares personality fits my personality perfectly. I feel she and I under stand each other and it was instant. Weather you call that a bond or just good horse communication, I don't know.

Our guelding seemed to be grate when we meet him weather it was because the guy we bought him from worked the fresh out of him I don't know. All I know is this horse is well behaved once you catch him he has good training. The old owner never had any mares, and he had taken this guelding back for a short time after our first bucking incident with the horse. He took our guelding on a trail ride with a group of other gueldings and my trainer was with them this guelding was well behaved never bucked or any thing. We have had him checked for proper saddle fit and every thing there is fine his health is good only thing we can come up with due to the way he acts and what he does when he bucked ( only does it at our place. ) is that he is proud cut ( could not think of that word when I made my first post.)

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

No, no, no, no, no. He isn't proud cut. Any gelding is still a male horse. If your husband got a vascectomy, do you think he would never want sex? Male horses, do not know they are gelded and they do exactly what nature tells them to do: get them a mare. If he were mounting and skrewing her, Thennn, you might say he COULD have a retained testicle.

This is neither here nor there. Do not put him with the mare. He wants to be with the mare, not you, therefore, he is going to try to go back to her by dumping you.

The spelling is gelding, no u in gelding.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member