Height question!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Whirlwind, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Dehda01

Dehda01 Full Member

You should have plenty of time for him to grow. He will get as big as he is meant to get. You just need to give him the proper nutrition in order for him to do it. Most of my horses grow well until they are 5/6years old. I have had a few BIG geldings mature until 9. I have on mare who is smaller than I would have expected, but it turned out she had a medical reason for that :/.

2. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Oh goodness he's far far from being "done growing". You're friend either doesn't pay attention, or is delusional, or maybe wants your horse? lol

They all sprout withers the spring of their 4y/o year. So you are still just under 2 years before that even happens. So yes I have very little doubt that a horse that is 14.3 in the hind end and isn't quite 2 is going to easily make 15hh - even if they are a QH that will retain a downhill build.

As reference, when I bought Fez he was 2 yrs old. He measured 15.2hh at the wither (I did not measure his bum). He finished at least 16.1hh (I hadn't measured him after he was a 5y/o as I felt there was no point). I am pretty sure she was 16.2 prior to his passing, as he sure seemed taller to groom, saddle & ride than Fif who is bang on 16hh.

foxtrot likes this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Don't worry about it, he has three years to grow and fill out. Bigger barrelled horses take up more leg than narrowly built horses and he isn't narrowly built. My 14.3h Appendix fit a 6'man better than he fit me.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Foxy, AQHA, grew one more inch when he was six.

manesntails likes this.
  5. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

My most recent one is just a mini, sure, but when I got him at 4 years old he was 31" and now he's suddenly 33" with a super defined wither at 6. They definitely keep growing!

6. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member+

Some years ago I came across a formula to gauge eventual height,the part that applies here is at 24 months a horse has 96 to 98% of their final height
    So to determine final height take the current height at the withers, divide by percent of mature height so in this case 96/98%
    So if her current height is 14.1 =57 inches divided by 96% = 59.3 which would be 14.3
    That is using the more optimistic 96%.
    As a kid I used to hear that a two yr old would even out with his bum. But I see a lot of bum high horses now.

Nursestephanie2 likes this.
  7. PonyNuts123

PonyNuts123 Full Member

Yeah. My colt finished at 6 (although he wasn't a colt by then :) )

8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

He's got a lot of growing to do and he'll surprise you!!

9. slc

slc Senior Member

An estimating method that works well with many breeds is to put a measuring tape right on the coronary band, pull it tight, and measure to the middle of the knee.

That measurement is pretty reliable because that part of the leg ceases growing at an early age. 6 months? I can't remember. Something like that. And because it is 1/4 of the horse's mature height.

That measurement, in inches will be the height, in hands, of the horse at maturity. If the measure is 14.5 inches, the horse will be 14.2 hands (.2 being a half a hand, .5 of a hand).

While many horses do continue to grow for several years, some do not grow much at all. As a very vague and oft-broken general rule, I'd say that horses that will finish taller tend to keep on growing, albeit slowly, to the age of 6 or even 7. Where as horses that aren't going to be very tall often stop growing almost entirely, at 3 or so.

My old Ben was 15.3 when I got him at 4 1/2. At 7, he was 16.1

This is also interesting - how much a group of Thoroughbreds changed in measurement, from age 2 to 3.

The first number is the 2 year old measurement. The second number is the 3 year old measurement. The third number is the percent the measurement increased by.

So you can see that the biggest change was in the length from front to back, of back and shoulder (point of shoulder to point of hip). The next biggest change was in the width of the hind quarter, from point of hip to point of hip. The next biggest change was from croup to the ground.

There was no change in point of hip to hock, point of hip to buttock, and poll to withers.

Point of shoulder to point of shoulder (chest width) 16 16.5 4.03
    Girth (around center of gravity) 74 76 3.63
    Withers to point of shoulder 28 28.5 2.75
    Elbow to ground (length of leg) 37.5 38.5 3.6
    Point of shoulder to point of hip 46 49 7.12
    Point of hip to point of hip 25 26 4.85
    Point of hip to hock 40 40 0
    Point of hip to buttock 24 24 0
    Poll to withers (neck length) 40 40 0
    Buttock (croup) to ground (height in rear) 53.5 55.5 4.6
    Point of shoulder to point of buttock (body length) 68 69.5 3.16
    Circumference of cannon under knee 8.25 8.5 3.94

mymarespet likes this.
  10. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member+

When you think of height change in terms of a % the amount some horses grow after two makes more sense. A 14 hand two yr old and a 15.2h two year old may both grow another 3% of their final height but 3% of 15.2 is quite a bit more than 3% of 14 hands.
    Dr. Deb Bennet states that for all breeds of horses their various growth plates close at apprx the same time. To clarify, in all breeds cannons close at 18 months, humerus between 3 and 3.5, vertebra at 5 and 6 years. It is important to remember also, that even after a growth plate has closed it will still grow in circumference.