Height question!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Whirlwind, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Senior Member

Have a question about Spirit. He is currently standing 14.1 hands at withers...And 14.3 at his butt. A friend of mine said she doesn't think he will get much taller and that there is no way he will reach 15h... and will be too short for me. He is qh/paint but grade and no known sire/dam history so can't use them for a height guesstimate.

This past winter up until when I measured him in mid March or so he was standing at a steady 13.3h. When i measured again end of May...he was at 14.1. So a solid 2" in about a 2 month period. He is still very much a baby at one month shy of being 2 years old. To ride him comfortably (for me) he would need to reach 14.3 minimum but I was "hoping" for 15.1-2 originally. I just personally don't like riding anything under 14.3...I am a taller rider lol so that is my reasoning.

14.3 has always been my absolute minimum requirement when horse shopping. 14.2 and it's a nope lol. I know it's only one inch but it's my preference...gotta draw the line somewhere lol. So...opinions? At least 14.3 right? Any chance of my desired 15+ though?

I personally think he's going to turn out just fine. He's only just coming on two so has plenty more time to grow a bit. She however believes that their height at 2 is pretty permanent. At this point just his withers leveling out with his butt would put him right at my minimum height wants lol.
    20180610_060304.png

20180610_060150.jpg

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

They definitely grow past 2. Every time i get on my 4 yo she's taller, lol.

There is a string test for horse height. Measure from coronet band to middle of knee, whatever it is in inches, that'll be his height. (So 15 inches = 15 hands).

ginster likes this.
  3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Senior Member

I did that a while back (last year) ...Will have to test again but pretty sure I got 15.2 or around there. Wasn't sure how accurate it was though.

4. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

In my experience, the string test is pretty accurate

ginster likes this.
  5. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

Their height at two is hardly "pretty much permanent" -------

Walking Horses grow until they are at least five and my Generator-bred fella didn't stop being but-high until he was hitting seven ----- he ended up being a legitimate 16.1H being measured using the method Univ. Of MI uses.

I also have a friend who brought a not-quite-old-enough-to-be-weaned TWH colt home from an auction because the miserable beatch who bought the dam said she would dump the weanling in a ditch somewhere, on the way home.

It took that colt a few years but one day I drove past their pasture and saw this beautiful big sorrel in the pasture, and thought my friend had bought another horse. That big sorrel was that little colt whom everyone thought his growth had been stunted and would always be a pony.

Years ago my Arab/Saddlebred that I raised from birth, ended up being taller than his dam and way taller than his sire.

Use the old time methods to predict height, not what your friend thinks----- in the words of my ex. "There she goes thinking again----" ------------

Also, FWIW, it you're going to keep fretting over something that nature is going to take three more years to accomplish, sell the horse because your thought process is going to negatively and subconsciously, affect how you treat and train the horse.

6. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Senior Member

Oh I am not fretting in the least! He's my boy and isn't going anywhere. I'm more so trying to prove my point that he has plenty more growing to do and back up my personal knowledge that she doubts (probably because I took a break from having horses and she has continuously owned and ridden- the "i know more than you" type attitude). Love her dont get me wrong, but that's pretty much what it is. Her filly was 14.2 at two and maxed out at 14.3. Filled out to be a tank but she is now 14 yrs old. I think that is what she is basing her height beliefs off of. However with that being said she bought her and boarded for the first 3 1/2 years at a barn that was lacking in horse nutrition (they suckered beginners-a more experienced horse person would have ran away and not looked back). It was the cheapest hay and sweet feed they could get their hands on and fed by the scoop (1 in am, 1 in pm-to every horse) and a couple "flakes" am/pm. So I'm thinking that may have effected their horses overall growth. They dealt with buying and "adopting out" (selling) auction babies. A lot of them stayed relatively small but the care was sub par. If I was dead set on a horse of a specific height...I wouldn't gamble on an unknown baby lol. I'm saying for me to not "look" to tall I prefer right around the 15 hand range. He could shrink 5" and I would still keep him lol. And I don't hold his height against him no matter what it may be. No negativity towards this guy... he's stuck with me for the long haul. When I said 14.2 is a nope when shopping...it's when I'm looking at older horses.

I was asking a question about height and growth...I just feel at the end there you were making quite a bit of a leap and a bit unnessary to be honest...or maybe I just took it the wrong way. I by no means meant that I didn't want him or would be upset in any way if he was going to be shorter than hoped for and hope I didn't come across that way!

Rachel1786 and gaitedboomer like this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

You don't say how old he is now or what age he was at each of those measurements, or his breeding. That information would help.

8. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Senior Member

At the end there...it says he is just shy of 2 (will be two years next month (July). Also in there is says no info on sire/dam. Just he is qh/paint type.

9. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Actually, she did....

10. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

There is a lot to be said for quality feed, excellent pasture, and a good deworming schedule for growing youngsters. I got a weanling whose dam was 14.1 and sire 14.3. In his 6th year he finished out at 16.1. My youngsters tend to get growth spurts every spring through fall then their growth slows during winter months. Your boy still has 4 more years to show you what he will become.

waresbear, ginster and Whirlwind like this.