Heated Water Buckets?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Suzanneszoo, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Suzanneszoo

Suzanneszoo Senior Member+

Since I had to dump 1/2" of ice out of my horse's bucket today... Already!! When she was pasture boarded, the auto-waterer had a heater to stop the pipe from freezing so I haven't had this problem before.

Yay or nay?

And if so, what's a good one?

2. Aishi

Aishi Senior Member+

We got a DIY one right now. Huge bucket filled with foam at the bottom, smaller bucket covered in chords with heat.. putting that bucket into the big bucket. Works like a charm. Using a double pall by the fence to keep the extra chord in under the fence so that the horses won't accidentally get in touch with it.

Also, a plastic ball in the water works alright and keeps the water in much more movement when they drink.

And don't fill it up with hot water - that just freezes faster. :)

3. kada

kada Senior Member

We used these electric ones outside in the winter and they're awesome. The water doesn't ever get super warm but it never freezes. The horses seem to like the heated water outside better than their regular water buckets inside. http://www.sstack.com/water-buckets-waterers/16-Gallon-Heated-Tub/ I think they make a 5 gallon version too, I imagine it's just as good.

4. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member+

^These. I have 1 for each horse and they are great. True that the water is never 'warm', but it doesn't ever freeze and the horses don't mind the cold temp water.

5. CJ

CJ Senior Member+

I love heated buckets compared to beating out iced over ones, especially a barnful. The trough has a drainplug deicer.
    Prior to that I put electrolyte salts in unheated buckets/ trough, which keeps them from freezing so fast/ so hard.

6. yellowhorse

yellowhorse Registered

If you use the heated water buckets outside, how do you keep the cord away from your horses so that they don't chew on them? I want to get two for my horses and hang them on my fence but am worried that they will chew the cords and electrocute themselves.

7. Kira

Kira Senior Member

The cords are wrapped in a wire that looks kind of like the spiral on a notebook. Horses can't chew through the wire to get to the actual cord.

8. eboynton9

eboynton9 Senior Member

9. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member+

I prefer a big tank with a heater. I use zip ties to secure the extension cord to the fence; a good length of the cord is wrapped with wire.

I have heated buckets in my stalls, and they're kind of a pain in the butt. They have to be scrubbed pretty often, and they get real nasty when they're close to empty. I have to unplug them to dump and scrub them. They also use a lot of electricity and aren't all that efficient. I can use one big tank with one heater much cheaper.