1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Heart Horses

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by DesyLovesHorses, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Kiesha

Kiesha Full Member

Mine is definitely my gelding, Rocky.
    My mother saw an ad on facebook for a perfect horse, only for sale because the owner switched jobs. We went to look at him and it went horribly. The lady (who, in all honesty didn't know left from right when it came to horses) had 4 inch shanks on him (while trail riding), and she just tore at his face.
    And boy was he naughty. His behavior was my fault to begin with, since I pulled back slightly to steady him as I was mounting. . . much too hard, since I didn't see the harsh bit in his mouth. He's a former barrel horse, so he got 'revved' up almost to a boiling point, since he was ready to go and I was not. This lady had a horse for every gait and he was the galloper, so I mean he was used to just running constantly. I've never been afraid around horses, but Rocky unsettled me. (Proof: before this guy I rode an 18hh Percheron and a very naughty Haflinger with a passion for bucking.)
    I was ready to dismount to attempt to settle him down, but I was having trouble keeping him steady enough to get off, so the lady told me to "pull on his face until he can't breathe". :eek:
    My mother and I discussed whether or not we were going to get him, on the way home. Surprisingly, I really wanted him. Despite his behavior, I felt a special connection with him, and I knew that he was not a bad horse. I am so glad I trusted my instinct! We put him in a hackamore and he turned out to be the most amazing horse I've ever come by. Once with people who treated him nicely and actually allowed him to walk when being ridden, he showed himself to be a highly trained horse with a willingness to please.

So, the moral of the story is this: Never judge a horse by its first ride. :rofl:

2. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

I'm lucky enough to have my heart horse. I knew her as a young horse on the track when she was slightly crazy and timid, lost track of her for years and finally found her again through an organization that places retired Standardbreds in new homes. In all the time I was looking for her, she was only 3 hours away the entire time, having babies for the track. When I saw her picture online, my heart stopped for a bit. When we were on the track together, she and I just got along. No one else really liked her because she was so skittish, but I loved her. She seemed to trust me too and would refuse to come off the track unless I was there to gather her up and bring her to and from the barn. About a month after I met her, I told my mom, "I'm going to buy that horse one day."

I called up the owner and asked if she was still available. She was, so I asked a couple more questions and then asked about a specific scar on one of her hind legs. The seller was surprised that I knew about it, since it wasn't apparent in the photos. I didn't mention how I knew and she figured I recognized the mare from my time as a track groom, but asked if I could arrange to come up with a trailer and meet her. We made plans to meet a week later.

When I got there, the owner told me how standoffish the mare could be, but not to take it personally. When she brought her up, my mare immediately lifted her head, stared at me and started walking more quickly toward me. When she got to me, she put her head against my chest and just inhaled. The seller looked at me and was like, "she knows you." Then I explained how I knew her and how long I'd been looking for her. The seller asked if she could take a photo of us before we loaded up, and away we went. I called my mom on the way home and said, "Vanna is coming home. I found her." Mom just cried.

I've had her with me for 6 years or so now. I've bought and sold other horses since buying her, but she will never be sold. She's with me for the remainder of her life. Her life is simple now, and her only job is to act as a trail horse a few times a week in good weather. She spends most of her time in a big pasture with some other senior horses and is really only bothered when it comes time to be loved, tended to or ridden occasionally. She babysits my nephew who LOVES horses, but is too little to really handle any of them. Vanna drops her head right to the ground and just follows him around, forever careful where she puts her feet. She lets him brush her legs and belly without moving and will even put her head right down so he can gently comb her forelock. She is worth her weight in gold and has a forever home with me, no matter what life throws at me.

Sam C. and DelP like this.
  3. Orlandotrails

Orlandotrails Senior Member

My Anne is my heart horse. She's the sole being responsible for my beating an addiction, and it was a month into being sober, that we had that ride...the one that's perfect in every way, where it's just fluid and flawless and your face hurts from smiling so much...watching her roll and do a little happy dance after that ride, I knew she had a permenant place in my heart.

And now, I get to watch her teach my daughter. 1123161630.jpg 1014161727.jpg

savethewhaley, manesntails and Sam C. like this.