Head Tossing

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by ASBgirl, Nov 4, 2018.

1. ASBgirl

ASBgirl Registered

This spring I purchased a Kentucky Mountain gelding, true gaited and a very flashy young show prospect. Nice in every way, but continually tosses his head. My boyfriend and I have trained Saddlebreds and Roadsters since high school and at 60, JB is jokingly referred to as my old lady horse as I don’t have to post anymore. We work him in a straight snaffle, as a jointed one, even a 3 piece mouth piece, seems to accentuate the head tossing or we use a very low port Mullen curb. He is turning 5 so are wondering re wolf teeth. His teeth were floated by my excellent equine dentist a few months ago. If the wolf teeth emerge and extraction doesn’t resolve it, am looking on to chiropractic work. Saddle is a good fit. Suggestions?

2. slc

slc Senior Member

I would work on steadying your hands and seat so that you offer a steady, stable contact with the reins and with the saddle. Seeing a video would help.

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

The dentist should'vr felt for wolf teeth and if they're still there, extracted them.

Does he throw his head without bit contact, or is it just during contact?

4. ASBgirl

ASBgirl Registered

I do appreciate the suggestion. However, as I have been training and showing for 30 years and at this point have a pretty independent seat, I understand what you’re saying but don’t think that’s the issue. He also does it with my boyfriend, who is rock steady as well as doing it at the training barn we purchased him from. But will remember to be very careful in contact with him.

5. ASBgirl

ASBgirl Registered

The dentist checked him early this summer. Teeth not yet emerged. He only tosses his head when ridden, which is why I figured it’s either teeth or a chiropractic issue from head carriage. The only other possible guess I have is a sinus issue. But am on the watch for emerging wolf teeth.

6. manesntails

Those wolf teeth should've emerged long before now. We remove them typically at 2 or 3 yo.
    I would get him looked at by a good equine Chiro and see if his pole is bothering him, or, as last resort, try him in a bitless bridle and see how that goes. Then you know if his mouth is involved or not.

Rhythm 'n Blues and doublelranch like this.
  7. ASBgirl

ASBgirl Registered

Like you, I am still wondering about a problem in the poll area and chiropractic work will be on my list. I have worked him in a “dog bone” snaffle which is popularly used on Mountain Horses. It’s the only bit he has worn that has caused him to cease the head tossing, the results are great and you can see just how nice he is. However, the mouthpieces on them are so thin, he can only wear it a couple of days before I think it bruises his mouth. I could wrap it and it would probably be fine to use to show in, but would like to find something to use for work at home.

8. manesntails

9. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

I had this problem with Henry. It just took time and him relearning and accepting contact. I have him in a happy mouth mullen mouth and will be exploring a regular jointed snaffle or French link in the coming weeks.
    manesntails should I try that bit with Henry? Seems like a good candidate.

10. ASBgirl

ASBgirl Registered

manesntails likes this.