Having doubts. . .

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Dec 2, 2017.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

No, I don't agree. No such thing as natural talent to ride. Keeping oneself in balance? For people with out inner ear disease, largely a matter of fitness and lack of anxiety. It's fear that causes people to fight the motion and be constantly out of synch with it. Fear can be handled. In some people.

I've seen people who stayed all twisted up and out of synch for twenty or thirty years, no matter how many lessons they took....that's stubborn anxiety.

And no, I don't think it's indifference that keeps Dona from buying another horse, regardless of what she might say. I think it's 'love' for Calypso, she believes that mare can do it all, pack her babies around, take her for trail rides....no one is discussing the Olympics here.

ginster likes this.
  2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Yeah. Dona doesn´t plan on selling these two. So why add another horse to that herd.
    I don´t see this as indifference either; she doesn´t plan on becoming highly competitive in any discipline. So theoretically (hopefully) either Calypso or Quest (or maybe both) will work for what she has planned....some trail riding and toting the Kids around in a few years time.

GONE ROPING and Dona Worry like this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

The youngster might make a kid's horse....I dunno about the mare.

One thing I learned long, long ago - if I have to trail ride with little kids, I want a very, very quiet horse to do it on, and if anyone else is along they better know what they're doing and be able to do it. There is nothing quite as what-was-I-thinking as trying to deal with a kid emergency while riding a really nervous or green horse.

For example....went on a trail ride on a really nice Sunday, lots of people on the trail in kind of a choo choo train. Kid's horse plodded along....until he realized he was 'behind.' And of course, despite having all sorts of little kids riding, NO ONE waited for the slow horse or even, looked back to see if that one was ok.

Then he took off, of course, at the top of a downhill with a little ford at the bottom, then back up. The little junior mint was jarred loose after two trot steps down that hill, came unshipped, hung on the side (screaming) til the little ford, and then down she went and the horse promptly stepped on her. Horse took off and a chain reaction started with little kids plopping off their 'quiet' ponies all up the line.

The 'most experienced person', a self proclaimed 'leader', shouted, 'Nobody do anything! I'll take care of it!'

The little junior mint's parents dismounted, leaving their horses to run loose, now there are about five loose horses. The other people riding are in various stages of falling off....

The leader is spinning around on a green horse shouting, 'Stay on your horses! I'll take care of it!'

The parents ran to their little junior mint, picked her up (she SCA-REEEEEMING, looks like she broke her wrist) and ran for the barn (no cell phones back then).

The other people went with them(they were all knackered after about twenty strides and wound up walking sedately back, out of breath, the kid still SCA-REEEEMING), the loose horses took off for the barn without kicking anyone in the head (no helmets, those days), and the last time I looked back, the 'leader' was still spinning in circles and shouting, 'I'LL HANDLE EVERYTHING!'

The self appointed leader should have enforced rules, like wait for slow horses and keep watch on weak riders. And he shoulda been on a horse he could control.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Sure, no one knows if either Quest or (more unlikely) Calypso will become a good babysitter but no one knows what happens in a few years. So far, Quest seems pretty chill. In a few years, with a good foundation by a good trainer, he might be right for it. If not, I doubt Dona will do anything that puts herself/her kids or even the horse at risk.
    But denying that this will work right here right now? That is more than the voice of caution...

Dona Worry likes this.
  5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

By the time I have kids old enough to ride, Calypso will be at least in her twenties, maybe thirties. *If* restarting under saddle works at all, she has a few years for training and regular riding to mellow her out, not to mention plain old age.

Blue-Roan, Arem and ginster like this.
  6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I still think Quest might be better suited since he doesn't have the kind of baggage Calypso has.
    But who knows? Only time will tell.

Dona Worry likes this.
  7. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

He is such a chill little dude. He is just a funny funny boy.
    And Calypso may not take to being sent away to a trainer at all, so it may all he a moot point. Regardless of if she is a babysitter or pasture puff, I am sure she will find her niche.

ginster likes this.
  8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Of that I am sure. You've done right by her so far and I have absolute trust in you.

mkoktavy and Dona Worry like this.
  9. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Having broken a 10 yr old dingaling to ride, Id suggest that a lot depends on the horses temperament and level of trust.
    Basically Calypsos 1st 15 years are a mystery. Clearly she was seriously neglected. Outright abused? Thats a guess. Scared, harassed, manhandled, abused, could be any of that or a combo. Might have been a nice, sane, perfectly sensible horse at one time that was pushed beyond her ability or trust level, and developed issues. If she has buttons that are identified or at least not pushed, she and Dona may be perfectly fine, seem to/ maybe make a good team. She may be a one-person kind of horse.
    It makes total sense to employ a qualified pro/ trainer to find out what the horse can and will do, capably and willingly. Better for a pro to find out the horse has 'buttons' (if so) than a novice, identify and address or declare how to avoid them.
    Calypso could have 10 or more good years in her. Would be nice if she was a usable enjoyable riding horse versus solely a pasture pet. But if she can only safely be 'turned out with the cows' to weedwhack, she could live out her days like that to, for as long as DW can afford tot or desires to keep her as a pasture weight.
    Theres even some satisfaction in keeping an aged or otherwise healthy horse just in the field if possible, if the only other alternative is liable to land them 'in a can'.

ginster and Dona Worry like this.
  10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I think what is tripping people like manes up is a disconnect between how most people approach horse ownership verses how I approached it.
    Most people start with a goal-- pasture pet, trail riding, dressage, barrel racing, etc. Then they seek out the horse that matches the goal.
    My goal starts and ends with owning this horse. Everything else--Quest, riding, etc-- is just dressing. I would like to be the best owner I can be for these two, and since that means being a better rider, I take lessons.
    If my goal was trail riding, instead of pinning my hopes on a high-maintenance basket case, I would just buy a trail horse.
    But my goal is being a good person for my gorgeous purple princess, so education for both of us, and plenty of oversight from a vet just to make sure she is physically comfortable. 20171204_152731.jpg