Have you had your hay tested/analyzed? Who did the work for you?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by slc, May 13, 2017.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

I need to choose a lab, so wondering who you use, if your extension office offers the service, etc.

2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Most of our soil and forage is tested through the extension agent, but occasionally we hire a professional ration balancer and they test the forage used in their calculations for free.

3. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

I have always used Equi-Analytical.

Price is predicated upon which tests you want run.

Equi-Analytical | Profiling Feed for Better Nutrition

I like these folks. They are timely with the results.

The downside is you need a corer to send samples to them. I bought their corer a d got one free standard test when I bought it. I've had it for ten years and it has more than paid for itself.

Unless your Co-op or Extension Service guarantees they test hay for a horse's needs, DO NOT let them test your hay. For their $7-$8 you get hay tested for cattle and most likely for dairy cows:)

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  4. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I second Equi-Analytical! I bought the corer recently and have done 2 testings so far, and it has been a lifesaver. I was soaking hay, but have now tested my last 2 deliveries which have been well within the safe sugar range. They are very quick, ship you out extra bags and prepaid envelopes free of charge, and have a lot of options regarding what to test for. The basic test costs $18 I believe, and that gives me protein and all sugar values, plus extra stuff.

gaitedboomer likes this.