Have you ever had a cat clipped?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bellalou, May 10, 2017.

1. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

A friend of mine and her husband shave their long hair cat every year because he gets too hot. They use the binder clip trick and he lays quietly until they're done. No muss, no fuss! Before the clip trick, he was a terror and generous with the claws.

2. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

What is the binder clip trick??

I have taken my long haired cat to the vet a couple times to be sedated and clipped... she has a really thick undercoat and her entire belly and legs mat up because she won't groom herself and doesn't like her belly groomed...

The last time I didn't want to pay (pre sedation blood work, drugs, and grooming like $150... I can get a horse clipped for less than that!) so I just held her down and clipped the worst spots and she attacked me a few times... I'd love an easier way!

Beautiful cat btw! I also have a Maine Coon... all three of our cats are long haired but only one of them gets mats.

3. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

I'm curious about the binder clip trick too. I have one cat who is somewhat like a buzz saw when you try to do anything with her, and she is unfortunately not the best self-groomer, long haired and prone to mats.

4. zett

zett Senior Member

Curiosity was killing me the moment I read Seamom's post...a DuckDuckGo search tells me it's placing a binder clip on the back of a cat's neck. I assume the idea being it's like holding their scruff and causing the "go limp" reaction.

Like the duct tape "twitch" on horses, it would work on some cats and some not. I can't imagine it working for more than a minute on most of my crew, if it worked at all, b/c scruffing them with my hand doesn't get any real cooperation. :)

5. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

I shaved my old cat few times and she loved it. I just took my time and did it really slowly. I also bathed her with diluted fabric softener before i did it for a cleaner/easier clip, so it took less time

6. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Google "corgi heart butt" and look at the images.
    You should do that next time.

7. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

You're exactly right Zett! You put a binder clip in the same place on the scruff that the momma cat carries her kittens. It doesn't hurt, they aren't traumatized, and everybody lives to tell the story. They use one of the big clips and tested on themselves first, just in case - some of the clips are TIGHT.

8. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

My sister clips her cats a few times a year. She has two reasons for it:
    1) One of her cats is very anxious and she self mutilates by ripping her fur out. When it's shaved, she leaves herself alone and it gives her skin a chance to heal.
    2) Her other cat is a dirt ball and has long fur that collects poop. Because he likes to roll in the litter box. My sister has a 4 year old son who loves this cat and carries him around everywhere, so shaving him is the easiest way to keep him clean and safe for the kid to play with.

Also, she can only shave so many designs into the kid's hair.... and it looks hilarious when I see one of the cats wander by with spikes down their back because that's how she shaved him that time around.