Have you ever had a cat clipped?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bellalou, May 10, 2017.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

My Maine Coon, Scooter, has a huge coat and recently he's had an issue with getting bits of poop stuck to his butt hair. Which is disgusting. And now I have claw marks all over my hands from cleaning it as best I could!

He may need his anal glands squeezed and I'm going to bring him in to get that checked but I was thinking about asking them to at least trim the hair around his butt and maybe all over - he'd be cooler and he does get nasty mats (and he's not a fan of grooming so it's an ordeal to get them out).

I've never had long-haired cats before - does this sound like a viable solution? I've seen the so-called "lion cuts" and I don't want that - I want him to have some fur, like maybe the same as a medium- or shorthaired cat.

2. AceTrick

AceTrick Senior Member

I'd just shave his butt, there's really no need to ever shave a cat unless he gets really matted and you can't take it out. I get he's not a fan of grooming, but that's something you can work on, unless it's reeeally bad.

PyroTekNik333 and bellalou like this.
  3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Yeah, I've been working on grooming. He's a rescue and he was really reactive when we got him - he basically communicated by swiping at you with his paws and biting. He's much better now - I can rub his belly and everything - but he still gets pretty reactive when I try to groom him. So it's been a slow process.

We have a vet appointment today - they just called and confirmed - so I'll see how it goes.

4. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Well, the anal glands were the culprit! The vet had to sedate him to express them and he clipped all around his little butthole as well as clipped off a few mats. Scooter was quite pleased to explore the exam room but was not thrilled with the rest of the procedure. He was rather... volatile. But he's home now and while he's a bit miffed with me, he's fine. :)
    IMG_6339.JPG

tlwidener, Alsosusieq2, apndi and 2 others like this.
  5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Cats and dogs sometimes need to go get those glands emptied and trimming hair around the butt is sometimes necessary with long haired breeds. I wouldn't clip long haired cats or double coated dogs. They won't really be cooler, the coat insulates them from the heat.

Pretty cat.

6. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

He really is. :) Yes, the last Maine Coon I had also had periodic episodes of anal glands acting up. Glad he's all better.

manesntails likes this.
  7. HayleyS

HayleyS Senior Member

I have two Maine Coons, and they get clipped for summer. They LOVE it! They both stretch out on their sides and let me clip them. They are both very affectionate cats, but after they are clipped they are the biggest cuddle bugs!

I have clipped them both for years, never had an issue, cuts way down on grooming time, hair balls, and hair in the house. Not that I only do it for my ease of life, but it is a nice extra perk. And since they are cats, and they hang out unrestrained and don't fight it, and then won't leave me alone afterwards, I'm very sure they like it.

Glad yours is feeling better!

Alsosusieq2 and bellalou like this.
  8. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I work at a vet clinic.... I've clipped the butts of a few long haired cats.

None of them enjoy the clipping but seem happier when it's done... and definitely cleaner.

I also trim my aussie's butt. He looks so much cuter without cling ons.

Scooter is beautiful!

zett and manesntails like this.
  9. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

He's gorgeous! I love an orange tiger...

10. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member

Gorgeous cat. :) The "sanitary clip" has been used on longhair cats for years. Mine have never needed it, but some do.