Has anyone ever used a manure bag?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Bakkir, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I am looking at possibly getting a manure bag for trail riding. But I am wondering just how well they work.

Does anyone use one regularly? What are the pros and cons?

Charm poops more than any other horse I have ever owned. Like 6 to 10 times per trail ride. This is after she has pooped 3 or 4 times in the cross ties. It just keeps coming. Getting on and off isn't always an option and gets old fast.

Only downside I can see is having to dump it out often. And I would have to clean it after each ride.

2. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I'm guessing my answer is NO, lol.

Some info I have found is mostly cons

Peeing is an issue with mares. Bags can leak and send a slurry down the legs. Major yuck factor :ROFLMAO:.

Also the harness seems to be sold separately from the bags.

So cost is approx $160 US. Add exchange, duty and taxes, I'm looking at $296 before shipping.

A bit too much money for something that might not work out and can't be returned.

3. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I have not used one. Sounds like it would be more trouble than it's worth though.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

I think when they make manure that much it's likely the horse is kinda nervous. Or has a mild colitis.

I think it's good if the trail ride or arena ride can take place at least a few hours after the last feeding, so the stomach is more empty, and if the ride can start out quite slow and easy. When the horse is getting ready to move, his instinct is to clear out his stomach and tension can exaggerate that tendency. Starting out slow helps keep the tension down.

So, for example, my horse would be fed at 12 or one, and I'd get there at six, let him have a small hay snack(no grain), then ride, and then an hour and a half after he was completely cooled out, feed. If I was riding later, he'd be fed at 5, and then I'd get on at 8 or 9, and he'd get his last meal an hour and a half after he was completely cooled out.

If we went on a very long trail ride, we'd feed hay about an hour and a half before starting out, then stop and let the horses graze multiple times, each time just for a short period of time, during the trail ride. Not enough to weigh them down, just enough to get the saliva flowing.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  5. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

She is an Arabian so nerves are always a factor. She is a relaxed happy girl 99.9% of the time, but is always alert. It bugs me when people assume she is hot and spooky and ill mannered just because she is an Arab. They end up calling her the "Perfect" pony when they get to know her.

6 to 10 poops in 2 hrs is her "normal" amount. She is very healthy, so no need to restrict her hay or call a vet.

My only issue is leaving manure on the shared valley trails. I will just have to get off and kick it.

6. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

Does your vet dope her to the wazoo too??? The first time Lola got her teeth done it took her ages to recover from the sedative because the vet assumed since was an Arab, she needed more than the quarter horses :rolleyez:

7. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

No my vet is really good with her. But at first she didn't believe me that Charm is great for shots. Doesn't move a muscle and never gets pushy etc.

8. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

That's awesome. I get so annoyed when people think Arab = nuts. To me Arab = busy, but not nuts. Lola's curious and you can't leave anything within her reach or she'll play with it, but you can also run screaming like a banshee into her paddock and she won't bat an eye.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

I do not assume Arabs are 'nervous.' I had no idea she was an Arab when I wrote that.

10 poops in 2 hours is one every 12 minutes. That may be what she does frequently, but that is a very frequent schedule and does suggest something is a bit 'off.'

10. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Oh and our trail rides are slow and easy.

I bring her in about 1.5 - 2 hrs before. I groom, lunge and ride (w/t) for about 10 to 15 mins in the arena first. She loves her routine and does not like to be rushed through it.

Then we go out on the trail for about 2 hrs of walking up and down hills.

She will poop at least 4 to 5 times before we get out on the trail. You would think that would be enough to clear her system out. But nope.