Halter horse diet without the pricetag

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by spec, Mar 7, 2018.

1. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I worked my horse every other day....especially if you are wanting to build some bulk. Muscles "rip" when being worked, and "recover" the following day and the recovery is what builds the muscle....similar to human body builders.

spec likes this.
  2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

3. EnglishRider234

EnglishRider234 Senior Member

I am also a college student who works.

I just go out at 9:00 at night every day. Yes it’s exhausting but you gotta do what you gotta do having horses in college! I have 8 ams every day and then work in after that.

Charliemyheart and spec like this.
  4. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Daily riding/exercise is needed for building fitness.

It's tough; we've been there. We rehabbed a horse in the winter with cold temps and short days. We got up early and sometimes rode in the dark.

3-4 consistent consecutive days are better than just the weekend. 5-6 it's ideal. I don't do a ton of grooming. I clean where the saddle goes and get on with it. I save grooming for days when there's more time.

Charliemyheart and spec like this.
  5. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Maybe you can get a lease on the horse for during the week. Would reduce the financial strain and you have someone who helps with the horses fitness.

spec likes this.
  6. RusticR

RusticR Full Member

I totally get being pressed for time. But if you want to show it’s not really fair to the horse to ask it to show hard all weekend when it only gets an hour workout twice a week.

I work from 9 am until 8-10 pm Monday through Friday. I get up at 6 amso I can ride Early. Bonus, the temperature is always gorgeous and no bugs! I ride 4-5 days a week on non-show weeks and 3 days a week (not including weekend riding at the shows) when I’m showing heavily.

Turnout will help maintain their fitness level. Walking and grazing is good exercise for them. But it won’t keep them fit on only 2 rides a week.

Here is how my mare looks (photo from early June last year) when getting 6 lbs Tribute Kalm Ultra and a flake of alfalfa and regular riding.

The second photo is the difference of not being in work. This photo was taken at the end of July when she hadn’t been ridden for almost 3 weeks. She’s gotten fatter, lost some muscle definition, and gotten a grass belly. The only change was her activity level.

Attached Files:

GONE ROPING, spec and tlwidener like this.
  7. brl_rcr72

brl_rcr72 Full Member

I don't know the first thing about halter horses but the coat thing...UV flysheet is a good idea, I also have seen a lot of people turn their horse out at night and leave them in in the day to prevent coat bleaching. Is this an option for you?

8. spec

spec Full Member

I ride pretty much every day once school is out (first week of May) and our first actual show is the first week of June. During show season she gets plenty of exercise.
    She’s in the pasture 24/7, I don’t like stalling her. We don’t have an indoor so some days it really is impossible to ride due to mud and such.
    I had her at the trainers last year so she was in great shape and I didn’t have to worry about it, not the case this year!

9. RusticR

RusticR Full Member

That’s good! That gives you 4 solid weeks of good conditioning before your first show. You can get a lot done during that time!

How’s your mare built? Is she naturally heavy? Needs muscle definition? Needs topline? Needs more weight?

How I would condition and feed would be heavily dependent on how the horse currently looks!

spec likes this.
  10. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Do you have a current pic? As I said in a previous post.....I did under saddle work every other day, to build that bulk, and long trotted with a neck sweat (he had a heavy neck due to be gelded as a 3 YO), and did arena work. On the off riding day, I practiced showmanship, and did some ground backing to build and round his hip more.

spec likes this.