Halter horse diet without the pricetag

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by spec, Mar 7, 2018.

1. spec

spec Full Member

What do people feed their stock-type halter horses to get them looking so nice?
    I wanted to put my show mare on a "halter horse diet" to bulk her up and make her easy to keep shiny. She gets about 5 pounds of Nutrena SafeChoice Performance (14% protein,15% fiber, 9% fat, less than 1% lysine) and free choice brome/alfalfa mix hay all day. She's a decent weight right now but she's got on her winter bod, so in the next couple I'll be working on getting her in-shape and pretty again. Along with her workout regimen, I know I need to add some sort of extra fats in order to do that. What economical fat sources do you recommend? What quantity do you feed of this in order to be not too much/not too little? (She weighs around 1100). I've seen people on here recommend all different types of oils but those threads are old and I didn't want to revive them to ask how much to feed. :)
    Also, she's a pretty dark bay and I'd like to keep her that way. I've heard paprika is a way to help them stay dark during the summer months. What quantity do you need to feed of this in order to be effective?
    Is there any other secrets that the halter-horse enthusiasts have to get a horse big 'n shiny?
    (I am trying to steer clear from the big name equine supplements because I like to save money!)
    Thanks everyone!

2. RoozerCruizer

RoozerCruizer Senior Member

I don't show.:whistle:

However, I used to own a bay roan horse that would sun bleach something bad during summer months. I fed him paprika, 1-2tbsp in each bucket of grain. I think it helped! I've heard if you feed too much the capsacin in it will show up on a drug test. Not sure if this is true or how much is "too much".

I also fed a combination of my preferred grain + rice bran + soybean oil. Dirt cheap and it really made his coat look nice. Somebody's probably going to chime in that that's the wrong thing to do but it worked for me and he always seemed healthy. I also had trouble keeping weight on him and the combo of rice bran + soybean oil kept him from looking quite so ribby.

I tried to get two photos in similar light. Hard to see a difference in pictures though.
    Photo of him in a roundpen was the summer before I started feeding paprika. He was on grain + rice bran.
    Photo in outdoor arena was him the next year, feeding paprika + grain +rice bran +soybean oil. Dirty as a pig so he doesn't look shiny but I thought he looked pretty good.

Attached Files:

spec likes this.
  3. spec

spec Full Member

He definitely looks darker, gorgeous! Thank you. My mare is kind of a picky eater, I hope she is ok with the paprika taste

4. RoozerCruizer

RoozerCruizer Senior Member

You could always start with a tsp and see if you can work your way up to it. Ended up feeding that mixture to all of our horses and none of them turned it down. Not even our picky eater pampered WP show horse :)

By the way, if you feed it with oil, they look like they're wearing lipstick and it's pretty good for a laugh.

Attached Files:

kodemiester and spec like this.
  5. spec

spec Full Member

Hahaha that's great!!!! :rofl: Will totally do that!!

RoozerCruizer likes this.
  6. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I wouldn't emulate a halter horse diet. They tend to be heavy on starch and sugar. Also many halter horses are FAT.

I personally have my show horses on Ultium Performance. My little mare gets 8 pounds per day. I add a vitamin e supplement and ground flax. I add the vitamin e because she's not on pasture.

I feed alfalfa for forage and feed it by weight. She gets 18-20 pounds per day.

She looks like a brick house right now and is shiny.

I chose Ultium because she is growing, in moderate work, and needs the energy it gives.

7. spec

spec Full Member

Is flax seed oil any less effective than the ground flax? I figure if I'm adding paprika and the MSM powder stuff she gets there needs to be something to make it "stick". She's a picky eater and will literally eat her pelleted food out of the pan and leave the oats if I mix them in!.. then the pony swoops in and cleans up (pony does NOT need any extra calories!!) :p

8. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I don't think it's makes any difference what type of flax: ground, whole, or oil. It all we works.

Circle C and spec like this.
  9. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

I've been told that whole flax seed can pass through them without being processed by their body.

A lot of people chose to buy the whole flax seed and then grind it fresh every day.
    Just be sure t o clean put the grinder every time.
    The ground flax seed can get outdated and lose its nutritional value as well as go rancid. The whole flax last longer and keeps its nutrition. So I would go that route and grind it fresh everyday.

spec likes this.
  10. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I've used flax meal which is ground and it is digested easier. OP....halter horses usually get fed alfalfa, and lots and lots of grain. You don't need to do that as it is overfeeding, but can get good results in other ways. I had a dun gelding that I haltered but also rode. I feed him triple cleaned oats, and a supplement called Fat Cat, and then long trotting every other day to build muscle. He fitted up REALLY nicely, he was a nice mix between halter fit and riding fit.