1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Halter Fit

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Arem, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Pet. Peeve. I see it all the time. Nearly every horse I meet. Their halter is too big and floppy. :willynilly:

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

It especially drives me nuts when there are a ton of extra holes to adjust the halter to fit, but it's still left too big and saggy. Like some above and like this:
    image.jpeg

Ahhh!!! I always itch to reach for the buckle and fix it. I did once. Naughty horse not wanting to cooperate for the farrier. Easier to control a horse when the halter is at least semi close to where it belongs. I hate seeing it. Big floppy halter. Naughty horse that the owner can't control in part because the halter is way too big.

And it looks bad. See doesn't this look better?
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

I see it all the time with rope halters, too. Ahhhhh!!!!!!!
    image.jpeg

This, ladies and gentlemen, is how it should look:
    image.jpeg

There is really no excuse for rope halters. You aren't restricted by how many holes there are and the knots are all completely moveable so you can adjust it to fit the hard to fit heads.

:willynilly:

Sorry. Had to rant. It's been driving me nuts lately.

So what are your pet peeves? :p

2. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

The same pet peeve as yours!

I don't care if all my tack matches, but you better believe my halters fit.

Appitude, ofauxaffliction and Arem like this.
  3. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Tom Thumb bits. Mechanical hacks because they're "gentle."

Sweet feed.

Cheap crappy saddles.

People who tie their split reins together.

Halters under bridles.

Standing on horses' backs.

Throwing a little kid up on a half broke plug for a sales ad.

Hey, you asked :D

4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I know someone who hates bits because they are cruel (horses aren't made to have a bit in their mouth) but used a long shank mechanical hack on one of their horses. :willynilly:

I hate tied split reins, too. Rode someone else's horse and the split reins were tied. I left it for, I don't know, 5 minutes max? If that? I untied them. Ahhhh so much better.

5. secuono

secuono Senior Member

Seems like 90% of haltered horses I see have it on way too loose. And many seem clueless about the right fit. =/

Arem likes this.
  6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I know :willynilly::willynilly::willynilly:

Itty bitty ponyish head wearing a big horse halter on the biggest hole :willynilly::willynilly::willynilly:

7. Binca

Binca Senior Member

I'm not as fussed on halter fit as you, but I am a bit fussy. I usually go with rope because it is easier to get that perfect fit, but a couple of mine are still a bit loose around the chin. I really need to fix it, but I keep going "nah, we are right for now". They aren't a terrible fit though, and provide adequate control over my horses.

Ill fitting bits is something that really bothers me. Seriously, most horses don't need a 5 inch bit, but because they are usually labelled as "full" sized, people think their "full" sized horse needs them. All of my guys take a 4.5, and most other horses I know SHOULD have that as well. And then of course anything under a 4.5 is a pony sized bit, and therefore has pony sized cheek pieces. But I know some horses that need an even smaller bit, but can't use them because the cheek pieces are too small! I ride my mare bitless now so it avoids the issue, but it still really bothers me.

8. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

My dad used to do that. Drove me nuts. He once rode his mare in a parade with her crappy halter on under the bridle! Argh!

My pet peeves? People who don't pick up after their horses.

People who think they have to crack the heck out of a lunge whip to work their horse.

The lady at the next tack shed who brings her ill-mannered yappy-dogs to the barn and lets them run around loose.

9. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I agree about the halter fit. I helped someone bring their horses in from pasture yesterday and only 1 horse had a halter on. A VERY loose rope halter. I snugged it up right and brought him in and took it off completely in his stall.

I ride in a halter/bridle and I'm buying a head stall that snaps onto a rope halter. It's very very common in endurance to be able to unsnap your hardware so your horse can eat comfortably at checks.

firegurl979 likes this.
  10. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

The whip cracking! @bellalou ! I can't stand that. The round pen is near the arena I ride at and my horse reacts to the crack every single time. Half of me is glad for the exposure but the other half would rather not have to deal with him surging forward as if someone is cracking the whip at him!

bellalou likes this.