Had Visitors Last Night

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by doublelranch, Aug 4, 2018.

1. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Neighbors' horses got out sometime during the night and travelled around our property almost a mile to walk down our driveway. Their donkey bringing up the rear. They had to have spent quite some time here considering the 20 piles of manure that are everywhere. Not a scratch on them, but of course mine wasn't so lucky. I should've listened to our little 7 month old pup who kept barking on and off. I just assumed the night critters were roaming as usual. They were, just different critters. I have cold hosed, given bute and treated the cuts and scrapes. Time will tell with swelling and lameness. He's sound for now, but I seriously have my doubts. As far as I can tell, he kicked through the fence. Right stifle and gaskin are cut, but I can't feel any underlying swollen or disturbed tissue. His shoulder is just missing some skin, and he banged his knee pretty good. No stitches needed. We came close with the stifle though. Just an excellent example of why you should never put horses that don't know each other on opposite sides of the fence. Also an example that no fence is 100% horse safe. View attachment 595935 20180804_105515.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

ouchy ouch!! jungles for quick and clear healing

doublelranch likes this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Ouch.. :(

doublelranch likes this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

That shoulder cut needs stitches~!! Call the Vet.

5. doublelranch

If you zoom in it is just rubbed raw and stretched skin. Not open so nothing to stitch. I actually think it is a rubber burn from sliding across his bucket hard and fast, but with horses you never know. The small cut underneath it I think is from the metal handle on the bucket.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Ouch that looks really painful. Hope it heals up quick.

doublelranch likes this.
  7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

It still looks just at bad when I zoom in. You should pack that with ichthammol at least. It doesn't look like hair will grow back.

ginster and doublelranch like this.
  8. doublelranch

Nope I don't think the hair will grow back either. I think too many layers of skin were rubbed off. He will match our sorrel gelding now. Same shoulder and all. So goes horse ownership.

9. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Awe... post pics of it healing. I'm interested to see how it heals up.

doublelranch likes this.
  10. doublelranch

Raining (thankfully) today so will take pics tomorrow. His shoulder wound has been shrinking more than I thought it would. He developed a huge hematoma in his neck and knee. We finally found what he did evidence of all the hair stuck to the fencing. He charged the back gate. The chain rubbed his chest, hit his neck and knee on the post and then at some point kicked through. Lots of cold hosing and vet wrapping ice to his knee. IMG_3319.jpg IMG_3333.jpg

Attached Files: