Gullet templates from horsesaddleshop.com

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by biancaduplain, Aug 31, 2012.

1. biancaduplain

biancaduplain Senior Member

Well, I did download them, printed them and made they into cardboard.

My mare fits the FQHB, the wide one (actually there are only 2, the wider one)

It fits her so beautifully. Like perfectly. nothing wrong, like a puzzle : pieces on pieces. LOL. I've post 2 other threads about saddle fit and how it goes wrong and I know it need saddle that fit well on ALL her back not only front, but hey, front is a good start. lol.

So when I go to the tack shop today, I bring it with me.
    Tell the guy I'm looking for a FQHB.
    He puts the cardboard on his gullet mesuring system and tell me that it is not a Full but a semi. Clearly, on his wooden made thing it was semi.

I know from brand to brand it changes a bit. but what should I look for ? cause that just confused me like even more.

2. SouthernTrailsG

SouthernTrailsG Senior Member

The Templates that HSS uses relate closest to Steele Brand Trees and Ralide Brand. If the saddle you have been looking at use other brands, not much help there, but Steele and Ralide probably make up the Trees in 60-70% of the Saddles, many Saddles like Tex-Tan, Simco, Longhorn, Bighorn and some others uses Steele Trees even tho they call them by a different name in their catalog.

One problem I find with the downloadable and printable Templates, theirs and mine is that many printers are set to automatic reduction when printing, some are set at 5%, some at 10%, this will change the sizing of the template when printed out. Check your printer settings.

Can you post a pic of your Horse without the Saddle, one pic with a side view showing the topline and one pic standing at the hip and showing the withers on one side.

I suspect your Horse has very large shoulders, if he does you will need a tree built for that and it look like he has the teardrop rear (my definition) again a little different tree that you find on many off the shelf Saddle, but not totally uncommon in many off the shelf brands.

Bighorn has some models with a size in-between a Semi and a Full QH Bar, so that is a possiblity also

With the pics I described, I may be able to get you in the right direction in the search for the Saddle.

I saw the pics of both Saddles in you previous threads, not happy with either one of them.

3. biancaduplain

Curiously my horse doesnt have much of a shoulder. she is more on the slim side.

See a picture from today. not perfect but thats the only thing I have under my hands right now.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. SouthernTrailsG

Ok, thanks.

It was just the way the Saddle was sitting, not big shoulders at all.

I would say Semi-Qh or Reg. QH Bars... I do not see Full-QH Bars fitting, from that pic at least

5. biancaduplain

Im trying to find a pictures that you could see... she is way more on the slimmer side.
    Looked at my printer settings, its should be fine.

from HSS templates, it would be the Full, but from the tack store, the semi (regular).

Teekin (I believe, might be wrong but I think it is that member ) gave me your name saying yuo might have something for me that would fit.

6. biancaduplain

a picture from different angle, you see a bit from side ways and behind.

maybe that help

[​IMG]

7. SouthernTrailsG

Still hard to be sure whether the Semi-Qh or Reg-QH... but definitely not a Full-QH

The last Saddle you had looked pretty good in the front, but something was wrong in the back, plus it was sticking up more, the rock in the bars was wrong, IMO

If you can post the pics of the template on you Horse, that would be great

I don't have anything in that price range, but we will find you something out there or at least some brands to be on the lookout for :)

8. biancaduplain

thanks, will take a picture today with the template on my horse.
    I go at the saddle shop today (to pick up my saddle that I lefted there) they have one more saddle I could try, in used. But I didnt even looked at it cause from far it wasnt in the quality I was looking at. But will give it a look this morning. never know.

9. Mcfitzfam

Mcfitzfam Registered

Speaking with experience (looked for 7 months for a saddle to fit both horse and rider), I solved my problem this way. A few friends gathered and pulled/borrowed any saddle we thought might work. We tacked up about 20 and rode about 5. I narrowed down a make that worked then searched like heck to find it. I ended up with a McCall Northwest Wade saddle. Yes, it too was not in the budget as planned. Stick with a reputable brand that has a good resale. I have a saddle that after 8 years, I can sell it for way more than I paid. Good saddles ain't cheap and cheap saddles ain't good. Good luck and don't settle for cheap. It is an investment! FYI you can pick up a used McCall (any style) for 1500 to 2000. It rides as nice as my custom that I picked up on a good deal.

10. biancaduplain

I never said (and never will) go cheap. I believe within 600$ I'll be able to find something decent...
    But I'm also not puting down 1500$. Im my dreams I would love , but in reality that aint do-able. Other than if my loterry ticket won last night.