Guess We Might Be Moving Again.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Touch the Sky, Nov 6, 2018.

1. JinxedDream

JinxedDream Senior Member

You are assuming the death involved riding bareback and a spooky horse, it was the trainer's own personal senior mount who was fully tacked up. It was a freak accident, nevertheless, your recommendation is dangerous and simply strange. The OP can not just ride a boarder's horse, that would not be appropriate. Herding takes more skills than hoping the other horses will follow. Generally I gloss over your posts but please try to not make dangerous recommendations. Plus this should not be up to the OP to find a solution to bring the horses in, that's on the barn owner/manager.

Exactly. The ones you could ride are generally in the back of the field.

mooselady and Puddincup like this.
  2. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

If I found out someone rode one of my horses to catch the others, I would be mad as hell. Suggesting someone rides another persons horse is just stupid and asking for trouble, especially to herd in others. Wonder what google has to say for that.

OP I wish you luck, it is never fun having issues where you board.

JinxedDream and Touch the Sky like this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

I didn't suggest anyone ride anyone else's horses, but to be quite frank, it's not really unusual to see staff hop up on a boarded horse to go out and bring them in, if it's an easy horse to ride. If it's a very fancy high price place it's less likely, but at one of the very expensive places I boarded at the staff would hop on a horse and lead another over to the other barn across the creek. Horses got moved back and forth between barns a fair amount, so it was common.

4. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I have never been at a barn before where it is common for barn staff to hop on a boarder's horse to move horses from one place to another. I would not be okay with that.

foxtrot, doublelranch, Amarea and 9 others like this.
  5. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

Barn staff or not you do not ride someone elses horse period.

6. Touch the Sky

Touch the Sky Senior Member

As a boarder I would be furious if someone just randomly got on my horse to bring the others in. I would never ever do that to the others there. What if something happened to us? What if we tripped in the woods and the horse came up lame? Or the horse got kicked while I was trying to here them in? I would be liable for that. I would never dream of using someone else's horses because it's more convenient.

foxtrot, JinxedDream and HayleyS like this.
  7. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

LOL SLC I don’t know what you’re smoking but I would NOT ever be down with a staff of a boarding facility hopping on my horse to bring the herd in. No way.

I used to do this at a facility I worked at, but our horses were either owned by the facility or free leased, for long periods of time so they were practically “my” horses as I was in charge of everything to do with their care.

But if I found out someone, ANYONE, at my boarding facility was riding my horse for any reason without my permission-unless it was some miracle life or death situation, I would be livid.

foxtrot, Amarea and LoveTrail like this.
  8. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Omg @slc where do you get this crap from? In three decades I've never seen a staff member at a barn jump on somebody's horse to go catch another one out in a pasture. what the hell is the matter with you?

Anyway one thing I have done but I would not recommend it is to get a golf cart and pony a couple in...
    O p you should probably find a better place to board. And if having two horses is stressful you might consider rehoming one

9. Touch the Sky

Touch the Sky Senior Member

I have but tbh I'm not sure who would take Rhaegar at this point with his soundness issues. And Annie is with me until the day she dies. I made that promise to her and I intend to keep it. She has saved me in ways I didn't know possible and deserves the best care I can provide her.

10. stardozer

stardozer Full Member

I remember my old barn owner decided to ride stormy to the barn bareback from the turnout and stormy spooked and whirled around and she fell off.