Guess We Might Be Moving Again.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Touch the Sky, Nov 6, 2018.

1. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

If they aren’t paying you an hourly salary, I don’t see why it matters to them on how long it takes you. A rushed person is more prone to error.

2. slc

slc Senior Member

You need to take the initiative, not them. This is your problem, not theirs. They're proven that they aren't going to do what you want, so stop trying to make them do what you want. You need to change your thinking. You watch them handle the horse.

I can 'schmooze' my way around my young horse(or any horse) and get stuff done, but I am doing him NO favors. He needs to behave for how OTHER people do things. I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. My horse needs to be trained so anyone can deal with him. And that means I can't schmooze my way through ANYTHING.

Perhaps these aren't one of the problems you have, but try to think about it as an example of the type of problem with one's thinking - that I'm talking about.

My young horse has a halter on. Pretend I don't like to interrupt him eating, so I just sort of slip the halter off his poll and wait until he gets a whole mouthful and pauses to chew it, and then let it slip off naturally, and wait a little longer for him to chew his food and then sly off his halter.

NO. When someone comes in to take that halter off, one tug, and he needs to put his eating on hold and stand there politely while someone slips his halter off, WITHOUT tossing his head, trying to yank his head back over to his feed, pinning his ears and nipping at the person, or anything else.

Same with standing by the gate while someone else is turning another horse out, and trying to nip that horse while a person is taking the halter off the other one.

NO, DO NOT come anywhere near that horse, if you do you are gonna get punished and it's going to be something horsey finds unpleasant. And don't be trying to reach around that person or anything, it's far too easy for that person to get bit - or frightened. It's not horsey's privilege to go around acting like he's entitled to scare people. Horse has to stay there back from the gate and wait til that person is done turning out the other horse.

Same with yanking his hind foot away when someone tries to pick it up. He's gonna get punished if he does that. Seriously. He has to not do that again. Ever.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

In 99.999 % of barns, it does create a problem if it takes 4 hrs to bring horses in and feed them. Boarders have a schedule to keep to. Instructors need to use lesson horses.

"My horse is supposed to be out all afternoon." "Can't, it takes me four hours to bring in, feed and turn out."

"My horse is colicking/needs to be ridden. When was he fed?" "I don't know, sometime between 11 and just now(3pm)."

"I need you to help me with <such and such>." "Can't, still feeding and bringing in."

"It's time to feed dinner." "I just fed lunch."

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

Why don't they come in on their own?

Could you ride one horse and drive them up to a lane and shut the gate, so they then go up to the barn on their own?

So...the horses that get beet pulp, why couldn't it be put to soak the day before or that morning? Or something? You have to just sit and wait for an hour or two while that soaks? I don't get that.

5. Touch the Sky

Touch the Sky Senior Member

I start it soaking before I start bringing in the horses. Usually by the time I have everyone stalled and ready it's soaked long enough to feed

6. JinxedDream

JinxedDream Senior Member

What a dangerous thing to suggest. That's how people die. The trainer at the last barn I ever boarded at (a great facility) was killed when the horse she was riding to bring in the rest of the herd from that pasture spooked and she fell off. Herding anything isn't simple or easy.

OP, I do think you should consider the move. Make sure it is all in writing, get all that squared up. And then set limits, learn to deal with conflict because its not going to get any better. I do think the new place and having access to your trainer is likely the better situation.

Touch the Sky likes this.
  7. Touch the Sky

I really think it's going to be a good thing. I did make sure to bring up the issues I am currently having and that other people are currently having with Rhaegar and they said not to sweat it They have lots of high energy youngsters and projects with similar issues and that everyone knows how to handle horses like that. Which makes me feel a lot better.

JinxedDream likes this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

It's better than leading 3 horses at a time. I've seen a fair number of people 'make a wish' (get air-stretched) doing that.

There's nothing that says one has to do that bareback, either, or on a spooky horse. I'd take the deadest deadhead in the barn out to bring the other ones in.

9. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

So OP is supposed to saddle up a boarder's dead head horse to do that slc?

JinxedDream likes this.
  10. Touch the Sky

The dead head horse is the hardest one to catch:rofl::rofl:

He likes to play a game called 'guess where I'm hiding'.
    Once you've found him he is fine... The question is... Can you find him??

mooselady, NBChoice and JinxedDream like this.