Guess We Might Be Moving Again.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Touch the Sky, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Touch the Sky

Touch the Sky Senior Member

Just when i think we have a good thing going it all goes downhill again.
    I currently partial self care pasture board both Annie and Rhaegar.
    My vet and farrier would prefer for Rhaegar to be stall boarded or in a dry lot long term because his metabolic issues are still being worked out and we are being SUPER careful with him right now. I can't do stall board at the barn im currently at.
    PLUS a bunch of stuff just happened that is screaming at me to get out while i can.
    -To start it, the BO raised board $50 a month per horse with no warning. Effective immediately.
    -They are feeding molded round bales that the horses are refusing to eat and both of my horses have dropped a substantial amount of weight (and neither of them were spring chickens anyway, and yes they are both UTD on teeth and being treated for ulcers)
    -Supplements (including Rhaegars ulcer guard and colicare and Annie's meds for her COPD) have not been fed multiple times. which likely means THEY didn't get fed
    -I was pretty much told if i want my horses fed regularly i have to do it myself even though its supposed to be included in my board
    - i got smacked with a $600 vet bill that i was told had been mostly covered by all the extra work i do around the farm. unfortunately i didn't get that in writing so its null and void.

-only TWO of us are having our board raised apparently?? My brother (who has his horse there as well) has heard NOTHING about board going higher at all, neither have the other three boarders. Only my aunt and i were told we had to pay more now. and the other three boarders DONT EVEN PAY OR WORK THERE. THEY ARE LITERALLY KEEPING THEIR HORSES THERE FOR FREE

-My work trade hours got increased because she is setting a certain monetary value on things even when that value is not correct (for example, it usually takes me around 4 hours to bring in, stall and feed all 26 horses from the three different pastures and barns.
    However, she is only going to count 2.5 hours towards my board discount because she doesn't think it takes that long. She says it should only take 2.5 hours tops. I have to track the horses down on 30 acres of hilly/ tree covered pasture, then lure them into the barn, stall them one at a time, mix feed once they are all in stalls, feed it, wait for them to eat, and then lead them all back one at a time. It takes FOREVER) and thats not including the time i spend cleaning up the barn after major lesson nights when the kids leave things EVERYWHERE, there is poop all over the arenas and aisles and nothing has been swept. Apparently its still not enough and i need to take on more chores to "compensate".
    -Everyone hates my horse because they don't know how to properly handle him but anytime i ask them to come out so i CAN show them, they blow me off and ignore it. Im getting really sick of everyone telling my horse is a dangerous jerk because they make stupid decisions and try to blame him (such as, taking three full buckets of grain into a pasture with three food aggressive horses before you put them in their feeding stalls. Like come on guys. Are you trying to die? ITs not that difficult. put the pony in the stall. Put the next pony in a stall. put the next pony in a stall. Put the last pony in a stall. Walk carefree through the now empty paddock with as much grain as your little heart desires, unhindered by large piglets. It just makes sense people)

-People have also been complaining about high maintenance Rhaegar is and that the don't like dealing with him

Im kind of frustrated because i do and have done SO MUCH extra work out here to try and bring in new clients and help improve everything and then this happens? Im paying MORE than i was for LESS than i am currently getting and my horses look like crap because the hay they have is so molded i don't even want to touch it. And i was told if i wanted to get better hay i had to provide enough for the whole pasture because my horses can't go in a private paddock.

The good news is, i believe i have a back up plan that will hopefully benefit us very well. The trainer i have been riding with offered me reduced board if i would be willing to help around the farm a few days a week, which if course i am. I would be getting stall board with turnout for rhaegar and pasture board for annie, with good high quality hay and they would be fed grain twice a day instead of just once. Plus i have easy access to my trainer and way more opportunities for lessons and showing when i decide to go that direction again. Im really hoping i can make it work soon because having them at the current barn is giving me such anxiety im literally nauseous from it. I really liked the barn we are at, at first but it seems like they are just taking advantage of me now and trying to milk me for all the work and money they can get. especially when they have other people who are SUPPOSED to be out there working but they aren't, and then im expected to pick up the slack and get things done. Im really upset about it but i know for me and my horses sake i think we need to move. I don't want to constantly be worrying about whether or not my horses are getting taken care of or if someone decided to let them back on the pasture because its easier for them (yes that did happen. no they did not have my permission. i almost murdered them. I specifically left a message on the feed board that Rhaegar COULD NOT be on pasture and they completely ignored it, i was ****ED) so i really think the best thing is to move to a facility that is used to, and prepared to take care of horses with needs like mine.

2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Sorry to hear this.

I have to say, though, that this kind of drama seems to follow you around...is it possible that you come across as.....please don´t take this the wrong way but: a bit of a push-over?
    Some people realize very fast when they can exploit someone and it seems you run into people like these again and again.

When you get to this new barn, please do yourself a favour and get something in writing. X hours of work mean x amount of money reduced from boarding fee.
    You are running yourself ragged otherwise. It´s no wonder that you´re feeling down and out right now, working as hard as you do and getting so little in return..

Do you think Rhaegar´s behaviour might be why you got slapped with a higher boarding fee?

Arem, Alyssa Hughes, NBChoice and 2 others like this.
  3. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I agree with Ginster. Also don't take this the wrong way, but much drama can be dealt with by more communication.

Either which way, if you have a better option, go for it. I do think it is going to be tough to keep Rhaeger boarded and expect people to simply deal with his occasional aggression.

Also, have you heard of using Nexium to treat ulcers? Much cheaper and equally as effective as UG.

ginster likes this.
  4. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

Sad to hear this, but it does sound like moving on is the right thing to do for a variety of reasons. And wherever you land, please be sure you have a written boarding contract that details what you get, what your responsibilities are and what the provisions are relative to things like escalation in rates, extra services, etc.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

It takes four hours to stall and feed 26 horses in 3 different pastures? How is that possible?

I can't give a 100% endorsement to the idea that all the 'drama' that has happened around you must all be your fault. In my experience, arrangements where you work off a part of your board rarely work out for long.

Sometimes that's just the nature of the beast - the arrangement initially sounds fair to both.

But as time goes on, the owner or manager wants a lot more work done or wants it done faster, the work he wants done changes in difficulty or complexity over time, and there's a lot of non-communication on both sides.

Note I say the boarder is doing 'unpaid work.' Why? Well, typically, if the barn owner or manager paid someone, he'd pay far, far more than it works out that he 'pays' the boarder, in board, and in time he spends being an employer, managing, doing paperwork, etc. With paid employees, he'd be spending a lot of time scheduling employees, hiring and firing, supervising, correcting, warning - and he expects to do none of that when a boarder 'works off' his board.

It isn't really so very easy to manage people, paid or unpaid, and the owner or barn manager has to manage unpaid workers just as much as he has to manage paid workers. But in fact, usually the owner or manager wants an unpaid worker in the first place, because he can't be at the barn when certain chores have to be done. So he expects the boarder to work without any management.

The boarder needs the arrangement because of pressures in his own life that cause him trouble doing any additional barn work, and pretty soon, both of them start feeling put-upon and treated unfairly. Sometimes it's the fault of the barn manager or owner, sometimes it's the fault of the boarder, sometimes it's a little of both.

Owners and managers need to not assume that the boarder can do unpaid work as quickly as they would, and the boarder needs to accept that the conversion from paid work to dollars off board will never be exact or perfectly fair - there will always be some opinion involved.

Owners or managers need to
    write down the work that is expected and put up a check list every single week - and that list needs to be the same each week. The person reliably checks off the work when it's done, and the owner or manager verifies that the work was done himself. Not by listening to other boarders or guessing.

6. Touch the Sky

@ginster i am a bit of a pushover. Its been an issue as long as I can remember. I HATE conflict. Which is why I kept quiet about the hay and the feeding issues. And when I finally worked up the courage to deal with it I was told that I had to provide it myself and deal with it.

@Faster Horses RRhaegar isn't usually bad to be around. He is actually easy to handle if you have the right attitude. The problem is that people go In aggressively thinking they have to dominate the horse to get him to behave. He freaks out and tries to get away, they get even more aggressive and then he starts fighting back. If people would just handle him calmly he isn't an issue.

Faster Horses likes this.
  7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

It took me 4 hours of a morning to feed and hay two barns with 15 horses then clean 15 stalls, turn out two studs and a mare, in one barn and 12 horses in another, feed and hay two pastures of layup horses, with 8 horses in one field, six in another, and a field of 30 broodmares. This includes water buckets, troughs, bedding, and setting up the feed.

It all depends on how fast and organized you are.

Get everything in writing BEFORE you move. If they mean what they say and intend on following through, it will not be a problem for it all to be in writing, AND, bring a witness or two when you and the BO sign it.

8. slc

slc Senior Member

It doesn't matter what anyone does to him, he can't be 'fighting back.'

That's reality. He'll wind up a dead horse if he does. And you won't be able to do a dang thing about it.

YOU need to get after him and make him behave, and so does everyone else. He needs to be taught that if someone gets hard with him, he needs to not fight back.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  9. Touch the Sky

The reason it takes so long is because I have to walk a 30 acre field full of hills and trees to find them and then lead them all in. I typically try to grab two or three at a time and hope the rest follow. Plus we have a bunch of senior horses who get beet pulp and that has to soak.

~tiffy~ likes this.
  10. Touch the Sky

I do ground work with him 4 days a week and he is wonderfully behaved when I work with him. I have almost no issues with him. How can I correct both sides lf the issue when the people who are having them refuse to come show me what the problem is so I can help them fix it?
    I even told them to take a video and send it to me so I can see it amd the Keep 'forgetting'