ground poles equitation help

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by horsmom84, Jan 9, 2019.

1. horsmom84

horsmom84 Registered

Hello, my daughter just started riding this past year and she has taken a love to Hunt Seat. She has a show coming up in May that has a walk/trot ground poles equitation class and she is thrilled. I showed horses as a kid, been out of the ring for many years, but, never did any over fences type classes. I am trying to figure out the best way for her to perform her pattern. Every video I watch of ground poles, the riders appear to do different things. Should she do a rising trot throughout the entire course, or a sitting trot, should she ride in two point or even go into two point from rising or sitting trot over the poles? She is aspiring to be a jumper one day so I just want to start her the proper way.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Ask her instructor.

3. horsmom84

horsmom84 Registered

Thanks...…..

4. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

It may depend a bit on if you are talking about a h/j show or some kind of breed show. but in general I would say rising trot the whole course with 2 point over the rails if she can handle that. For some kids that's too much so posting the whole thing works better. But as has been said ask her trainer as they are the ones hands on and know what is expected at that particular show.

manesntails and horsmom84 like this.
  5. horsmom84

horsmom84 Registered

Her Instructor doesn't really know either, first my daughter is the youngest English rider she has and this is a newer class for this show as usually the ground pole classes are W/T/C and everyone we watch videos of rides it different. It is a very large open show and the class is 9 and under. So her instructor suggested riding in two point around the entire course. That is just one method I have not seen done myself, so I wanted others opinion

6. sherian

sherian Senior Member

check the rule book? i would think the judge would rather see posting trot/two point as it demonstrates a higher skill set than just cruising around in two point.

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Every show goes by a certain rulebook. They don't make classes and rules up out of their head, they follow an association rulebook.

Your child's instructor should definitely know what rules a show she is entering her students in, is going to follow. If she doesn't, it's her responsibility to find out. She knows the show is going to be held, so she needs to contact the officials and find out what association rules they follow.

For example, the playdays in my area, for Western riders follows AQHA, American Quarter Horse Assoc. rules.