Ground manners - what are you strict about?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Blue-Roan, Aug 7, 2017.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

I have this bizarre aversion to being made into a ground pizza.

So I think everything is important.

Including this one:

Wuss Horse STARES at me when he wants something.

"STOP STARING AT ME!"

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Anna Giuda likes this.
  2. livelaughride

livelaughride Full Member

All are important, but the most important to me is respecting personal space. I can't stand it when a horse gets right in your space uninvited, and even worse when they refuse to move, particularly when they're on your foot!

My inlaws have a donkey and know next to nothing about keeping donkeys or horses. Their donkey is friendly (read: lonely) and every time you're in the pasture with it, he walks right into you (front or back) and plants his head on your shoulder. And then he readjusts himself if he doesn't get what he wants and clunks you on the head as he's doing it. And they keep insisting that "he's so cute, he just wants to be petted! And I read that when they do that it means he trusts you!" despite my objections. I don't think they'd take kindly to me walloping him if he tried doing it to me, so I try to just never be in with him.

3. Blue-Roan

Blue-Roan Senior Member

I understand that all ground manners are important. It's not like I'm only enforcing a few rules and letting everything else slide. The reason why those three main things are very important to me personally is because they were major problems I experienced with many lesson and lease horses in the past, which have resulted in several injuries to other people, and I'm most strict about those things now as a result. Maybe I should have worded it differently. I didn't mean to say that only certain aspects of ground manners need to be enforced, and I'm sorry if it came across that way. Oops!

4. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I laugh because when we got Boomer he was testing boundaries and would go to bite. It drove us crazy. It took that blockhead a lot longer than it should have to get the point - bite = smack! We kept escalating the punishment but the dope didn't get it!!! One day Fritz had enough and full on punched him - Boomer's never done it since LOL I have never had to hit a horse as hard as I had to hit Boomer to get the point across!!

AmyK likes this.
  5. touchofdandy

touchofdandy Senior Member

All of them.
    I had worked with my stud colt (now gelding) so much and was so picky on manners that no one would believe he was still intact. While the horse in the next stall was horrible to handle. He was intact. I tried to never have to handle him because he literally wanted to drag you where ever he wanted to go, was nippy, pushy etc. :mad:
    They had people visiting one time and they were people who had horses, handled them daily, training etc and I walked my horse out of his stall, was messing with him before letting him run in the arena and they watched him be caught in the arena and walk back to his stall, turn and face the door and stand quietly for me to undo the halter. They said I had a very well mannered gelding and I looked at them and said "He isn't a gelding." They didn't believe me. lol :ROFLMAO: they looked for themselves. :ROFLMAO: And complimented my training w/ him. :D

6. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

One thing I focus on more than anything else I guess would be desensitization on the ground. I refuse to accept big dramatic overreactions when a horse gets scared or nervous. So I often I see horses trying to run ontop of people, past them, etc when they get scared. Or even jump and pull away from the handler, being a prey animal I think it's important to teach how to spook properly....on the ground and in saddle.

manesntails likes this.
  7. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member

All of them, of course, but in the spirit of the original post, my A#1 is maintaining personal space when leading. There is nothing I like less than being crowded.

I worked with an enormous mare who was a nightmare on the lead line: playing up, calling, nipping, and barging into me in her absolute obsession with the other horses. I walked her for about 20 seconds the first time I worked with her and immediately called for a dressage whip so I could get her attention and create some space for myself. (The old elbow for the front end, tap-tap for the hind end ;) ).

Her owner was horrified. She claimed she was certain the mare had an ovarian cyst/tumor that was causing her to act like a stallion (I have heard of some testosterone-producing growths that can lead to stud-like behavior in mares). I told her I wouldn't accept that behavior in a stud, either, and mare's behavior was improved vastly in two sessions.

touchofdandy and manesntails like this.
  8. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

Horses respecting space, and respecting whoever is leading them. My gelding dislikes many people, but anyone can halter and lead him with no fuss. He will respect their space, stand when told to, and be a gentleman.

Nipping bugs the **** out of me. If my horses nip they get a smack, I know a lady who finds its cute when her horses nip, and had been letting mine. That ended quickly.

Same with horses who get pushy in the field when you are out with them, if I am trying to catch my horse and another one keeps cominf up and biting them or pushing past us both, I lose my temper.

9. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

Why would anybody let a horse nip?

10. FaeriesFaith

FaeriesFaith Senior Member

All of them here too

Bad unwanted behaviors are a hard no for me.