Ground manners - what are you strict about?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Blue-Roan, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Blue-Roan

Blue-Roan Senior Member

I like when horses have good all-around ground manners, but there are some things that I'm more insistent on than others. I'm a stickler for:

- Gate manners. My horse is always to stop before going through a gate or doorway, wait for my say-so to go through, stop whenever I tell him to, even if he's halfway through the gate or door, and wait patiently on the other side while I latch it.

- Feeding manners. My horse must back up, wait for me to put the food down, and only go to the food when I say 'okay'. He also had to stop eating whenever I ask him to. For treats, he has to back up or yield in some way before he gets treats, and no pushing, nipping, crowding, etc is tolerated.

- Aggressive behaviour towards other horses. He is never allowed to pin his ears, nip, bite, kick, charge, swing his hind end towards or otherwise try to dominate another horse while a person is there, whether in the saddle or on the ground. Even if the other horse's handler is at fault and he gets crowded, run into, nipped, etc, he is still not allowed to act aggressively. He can do all that stuff in the pasture, where a person can't get caught in the crossfire and injured.

Horses that have bad manners in these respects are my biggest pet peeve, and after having dealt with them for many years before I got my own horse, I decided that, as long as I could help it, I would never again have a horse push me over to get through a gate, get to his feed or get at another horse. Not to say that other ground manners are not important, but these are my big three that I've personally found to be most useful in everyday scenarios, and quite dangerous when they are not respected.

What ground manners are you really picky about?

Cynical25 likes this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

All of them.

No exceptions.

.Delete., MzCarol, Nu5ha and 2 others like this.
  3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Yeah all of them. I made the mistake of forgiving lapses when I first got Bella, thinking that she didn't know better and I didn't want to be getting after her all the time. It created dangerous problems and I got hurt. It didn't do her any good either because she didn't know the boundaries which made her anxious.

She's a much happier, calmer and more respectful horse now that she knows the rules and that there aren't any gray areas.

MzCarol, Nu5ha and manesntails like this.
  4. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Good old fashioned proper manners. I think some of the above is a bit much.

Such as making them back up and wait for me to say okay. Of course if they get too pushy or demanding while I'm feeding them, they get in trouble, but otherwise I don't make an issue out of it.

Yes, I will allow a LITTLE leeway on some minor things, but ask anyone who knows me or my horses and they will tell you they are all very respecful and very well mannered

kodemiester and gaitedboomer like this.
  5. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

Anything dangerous/malicious. Luckily the only thing Max tries is nipping once in a while (and not in a bad natured way), so that's a quick no. It's usually when I'm picking out his hooves and he wants to check my pockets for peppermints. Setting back against the rope, also a big no, but if he's protesting something so heavily I'll generally evaluate what's going on around him to make him act that way (except when it's bath time, he hates getting hosed).

I'm honestly super lenient and don't really care. He can paw or lower his head and take a few picks of grass or lick my arm. He doesn't ever walk on me or jerk away and comes when I call him from the pasture, so TBH I couldn't ask for anything easier. He'll untie himself once in a while and I'll just walk over and pick him up and tie him back up.

If he were bigger, I might crack down more, but I've gotten really patient, plus he's so small and has no ill intent.

Nu5ha likes this.
  6. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

I can't stand a horse that mugs for food (I've fed for people who let horses get away with that, it's so dangerous and dumb). I also can't stand pawing because it drives me nuts.

Otherwise, aside from the obvious things like aggressive behavior towards people, plowing into people etc, I'm pretty lenient and I'm lucky to have horses that seem to quickly respond to my expectations.

7. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

The only one I have ever really had to enforce is WAIT FOR ME TO SAY LEAVE YOUR STALL.
    Such as, just because the halter is on does not mean charge out of your stall like it's the Kentucky Derby. Wait for ME to exit the stall, check for cats, calves and pitchforks, and say ok.
    Yes, even if Quest is fussing. Especially if Quest is fussing.

Sam C., CJ, Nu5ha and 2 others like this.
  8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Quest is a whole different ball game. Don't bite, don't paw, stop thrashing your head around, DON'T BITE, what is this why are you just tapping your hind leg knock it off, DON'T BITE, stop crowding me, I said STOP crowding me, I did warn you TRY AND BITE MY BUTT ONE MORE TIME I WILL CAN YOU MYSELF.

Suzanneszoo and CJ like this.
  9. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I'm with manes. All of them. I'm really quiet around horses and like routines. So I get on well with most, simply by taking care of them the same way day in day out.

manesntails and MzCarol like this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I can't think of any that you can back off on. Every single point is important and for safety.