Grocery Store chains selling horse meat!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by hellomynameis, Apr 27, 2009.

1. hellomynameis

hellomynameis Senior Member

I am currently employed by a Metro (chain of grocery stores in Ontario and Quebec) and work in the deli department.
    Our store just switched from A&P to Metro, and I just found out something interesting online that I was unaware of previously.
    Metro sells horse meat. I was shocked too. I was also unaware that it is legal to slaughter horses and distribute the meat in Quebec.
    I did not find that much information on the laws in Canada (sorry that I'm a bit under informed) only that it is frowned upon in areas such as Alberta where racing and breeding is popular.
    Is this not illegal in Canada?
    Now I have an ambivalence issue; clearly, whether the store I work at sells it or not, I do NOT want anything to do with a company that sells horse meat and support such a barbaric act.
    The other side of my ambivalence is that I need the money and it is a great job. I get time off for horse shows no problem and make good money with flexible hours.
    I don't think a letter to Metro is going to stop them and the whole province of Quebec or the country, for that matter.
    Can anyone tell me a bit more about horse slaughter/meat distribution rules in Canada?
    What would you do if you were me?!

This is disturbing and when I came upon it I was bawling, but if you go to http://www.metro.ca and go to "Meat Counter" or something of that relevance, it will show that they infact distribute horse meat and supply recipes and how to find the best "foal meat". :flaming:

Like I said, just reading the recipes and cooking instructions made me break down...
    Any info and advice is appreciated!

2. Lindsayanne

Lindsayanne Senior Member+

Do you sell beef? Why is that okay?

3. County

County Senior Member+

Meat is eaten all over the world and not considered barbaric by most people. Theres certainly nothing new about horse being eaten in Quebec.

4. Xiphias

Xiphias Senior Member+

Quebec is mostly french right? The french love horsemeat, when I lived in france, my dad bought fresh horsemeat all the time at the local butcher shop, as it was cheaper than beef, and lower in fat....it's not illegal for them to sell it, or they would not be doing it...

Cathy :)

5. mtgirl

mtgirl Senior Member+

I have never tried it, but I would like to.

6. faroutfax

faroutfax Senior Member+

7. Stormyheart6160

Stormyheart6160 Senior Member+

I don't know all the "stats" on Canada, but I know it is legal to slaughter and sell horsemeat there.

What would I do if I found myself a job somewhere that sold horsemeat? QUIT!!!

8. xlilxonex

xlilxonex Banned

I honestly don't see what's the big deal? It's just meat... people eat it, digest it and gain nutrition for it. Does it really matter what sort of animal it is? Horses are livestock...their just animals...and if they provide food for people then great! Why not? Why waste resources on our earth....

Harsh.. maybe but it's just reality.

As for the person who said they've always wanted to try it....Feel free to take a leg from my naughty horse :p

9. cowgirl up 2

cowgirl up 2 Senior Member+

all you have to do is simple just don't buy it,if you have a good job now is not the time to give it up.as long as you are getting pd well,and they treat you well,there is no reason to quit over something you can't change.

10. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

Yummy dinnies. Want to guess what these are?

Meal one

[​IMG]

Meal two

[​IMG]

Meal Three

[​IMG]

Meal four

[​IMG]

And here is someone who could easily end up on my dinner table.

[​IMG]

Different people eat different things.