Gripe of the day

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mooselady, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

He made it through surgery and was in recovery last night. Haven't heard this morning. Last post said he managed to stand on his own.

He had a gas and food impaction and twisted intestine.

2. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

My friends horse is ok this morning. He is body sore from being on his back for 3 hours. So heavy pain meds and no food for a day or two. He will have a long road to recover fully.

3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Poor guy. Glad he made it through surgery! I´ll keep jingling for him.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

@Bakkir I wouldn't wish colic surgery on any horse. It's not pretty at all. Fingers crossed he still makes it. Long road and still not out of the woods till they get food into him and everything starts functioning normally.

@Alsosusieq2 if your'e clenching your jaw, look up acupuncture/acupressure points for your jaw. There are 4 on each side of your cheeks/face. Even massaging them will help with the jaw clenching and should relieve some of the headache pain. I have jaw issues, so I do this a lot. I have a little hand held machine that actually is meant for acupressure points that i use often (when my jaw was really bad I was using it weekly, then monthly, now just as needed) but if i'm on the road and my jaw starts to hurt I'll massage/push on those points and I do get some relief to be able to continue my day. Also massage the base of the your skull and "pull/press" downwards towards your bum. It helps too! I actually have a mild tension headache right now, so will be using my little machine before I leave the house today so I can get through my work day & ride as many horses as I can (aiming for 3 lol) :)

5. uncanny580

uncanny580 Senior Member

What is this little machine? I have a jaw injury and would definitely be interested in something like this.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

It is scary when the really large horses go down. He is 18hh and probably 1800 - 1900 lbs. But he has a great owner that will do anything to see him through this.

Apparently they have 4 others in the hospital with the same thing. The temperature has been a high of 30 and a low of 10 for the past week. It's so hard on them with their winter coats coming in.

Made me go hug my little girl. Thank God she is an Arabian and can take the heat.

7. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Jingling. I’ll be honest - if either of mine ended up needing colic surgery I’d euthanize. It’s so hard on them and I don’t think Bella in particular could tolerate the recovery. :(

8. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Unfortunately I would have to euthanize as well. No way I could afford colic surgery.

I am sure the cost is more with a larger horse too.

manesntails and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Jingles for the big guy...really hope he pulls through.

Another one here who would not go down the surgery road, for oh so many reasons.

10. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

My daughters horse coliced very badly, drove the horse to Michigan State University vet school (they live about 45 minutes away) and before they could even open the trailer door, she had to pay a down payment of (if I am remembering this correctly) 1/2 of what a usual colic surgery usually ran - $2,500 hundred bucks. So surgery was approx $5,000.

Luckily the horse didn’t need surgery, they were able to handle it without. But, she spend a long time in intensive care, and it ended up costly a bundle even without surgery.

She had a septic line on her gums and could hardly stand. That was about 8 years ago. Who knows what it would cost now. I understand why they need the money up front (no checks), but not a lot of people have that available. They did accept charge cards, luckily.0