Gripe of the day

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mooselady, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

@Peanut Palomino - go meet he horse and keep your guard up. Perhaps the kid isn’t a good rider or blowing things out of proportion?? It is a kid after all........
    If you agree with her assessment, then you can decide to decline the job. But at least go in with your eyes wide open. :)

@Alsosusieq2 - at least this means perhaps everything prior to this has been leaving up to whatever is causing the fever?? Fingers crossed things start turning a corner for ya.

GOTD for me: I was told repeatedly “I don’t care what the opinion of a 10y/o spoiled beginner is”.......I so so wanted to reply “well you should cause that 10y/o spoiled beginner is your client - and his mom isn’t going to buy him a saddle that he doesn’t like to sit in!” GAH I wanted to throttle her!

ginster, Alsosusieq2 and equinitis like this.
  2. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Yep, go with your eyes wide open as well as your mind. There are usually two sides to every story with the truth somewhere in the middle. This Text sounds like a teenager with an agenda. Maybe s/he wanted the job you got and is trying to scare you off or maybe s/he just doesn't want you to ride the horse.

I think you can read a horse without being influenced by what others have told you. Go. Read the horse yourself then decide what to do.

mooselady and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

GOTD...I don't want to adult, I want to build a fort and eat ice cream, then take a nap......

equinitis, Loona, CabterCrazy and 3 others like this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Eugene woke me up at 2am asking for a wastebasket as he was going to be sick and ughh. Terrible sick all night. I couldn't really sleep myself as he was sick all night till just a couple hours ago. No idea except he was hot last night. Not a real fun time.

5. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

I rode the "bronco."
    Poor guy is greener than grass. He doesn't understand rein pressure in any way, doesn't understand legs, doesn't understand voice cues, nothing. He round pens really well, but is a big ball of nerves the whole time. The saddle they had on him fit HORRIBLY. It was sitting directly on the withers (they told me it was fine :flaming:). They had him a cheapo bosal that was way too big (and left the halter on so the nose pressure was blocked by the halter). He was seriously over padded-- which sure didn't help the pinching saddle. And they had SMBs on that were too big and put on wrong.
    THEN they proceeded to have a 16 year old girl who has been riding no more than 2 years give me an hour long lesson on how to ride. She told me my Ariat's were bad riding boots and I should go buy Dansko boots instead (she said anything that isn't a pointed toe is bad for riding). She talked about the horse like he was an idiot the whole time when honestly, there's nothing wrong with him other than a complete lack of training. They said he can't have a bit because he still has his wolf teeth and they don't want to poor money into a horse who might "go to slaughter."
    The owner of the place wants me to lease him. Her leases require the rider to ride at least 3 times a week. But I can only use their tack, ride their way, and on their schedule (you can only ride with a buddy).
    There's nothing wrong with this horse. He's a young, very pretty, very athletic paint gelding who could probably be a great citizen in the right hands. But he needs a trainer. And I am not a trainer.
    If I don't ride him, he'll probably continue to get worse because the only people working with him will be green kids. I know that's not my problem, but it makes me sad. I do not plan to continue riding him.
    The whole place is just starting to feel weird. The owner keeps threatening slaughter and trying to guilt me and others into working with him because "no one is loyal to him." But he's HER horse, it's HER responsibility to be loyal to him by doing the right thing for him-- sending him to a trainer.
    I know this sounds like I'm really full of myself, but I do not want to get a lesson from a green 16 year old on how to ride. I'm far from an expert, but I've been riding for 15 years with lessons from real trainers and real competitors... I don't need a kid correcting my every move. I hate that that sounds stuck up and egotistical and I wish it didn't, but it is how I feel.
    The owner of the place wants me to attend a three hour "safety training" so that I can learn how to lead horses, tie a quick release knot, etc. She keeps wanting me to come out for all these "trainings" but isn't compensating me for my time. I was hired to work there after all, usually job training is compensated. I could overlook most things, but the way they treat that green horse and manipulate people with slaughter threats is not something I can tolerate.
    Rant over. I will not be going back. It's clearly not a good fit.

6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Wise choice.

7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

@Peanut Palomino i think you made a great choice, sounds like a very odd sort of place, feel sorry for the ‘bronc’ though, how to turn a good horse bad!

ginster likes this.
  8. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

@PalominoPony - WOW!! Definitely not a place I would be working either. I don’t think I would have even mounted up on that horse. Holy Cow!

Gripe for me: Ended up with heat stroke AGAIN yesterday! Gah! Went to do a fitting a gorgeous day! Owner decided we should do it outside, and I didn’t say anything. 4 hours in the sun with a lovely breeze....aka windy....and I was chasing my papers cross the field. Thank goodness all her horses are really nice & easy to work with. Full Perch’s so at least that was good. Ended up with a sun-burn I’m still babying. Kept outta the sun today & will be doing the same tomorrow.....guess my outdoor ring isn’t getting set up this weekend. Sunday I’m staying in the house, as they are saying it’s going to feel like 44*C (111.2*F) :eek::faint:

ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

WOW, indoors is good in that heat...look after your self

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  10. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Pp sounds like you dodged a bullet. You don't need to get hurt.