Gripe of the day

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mooselady, Aug 19, 2014.

1. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Sorry, I won't mention it again. If you're likeme, you probably haven't eaten much when being sick....I am never all that hungry since I can't taste anything anyway....
    Tea is good if you get tired of plain water. My goto is sage tea with honey. That really soithes the throat and airways..

mooselady likes this.
  2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I have been to lots of funerals in my life, from a 5 month old infant to my 98 year old great-grandmother, but I have to say this one today was hands-down the WORST I have ever seen. Absolutely appalling.

3. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

....I think more details are needed!

Went to a funeral for a five month old baby I didn't even personally know. Such a tragic accident lead to his death. It was the hardest thing I've been to in my life.

4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

It started out promising. His neice delivered a touching eulogy, some light laughter was had, some tears were shed.
    Then there was a hymn. From a bad country cd.
    Ok....
    THEN THE PASTOR GOT UP.
    He started out by reminding us how wonderful . . . God was. And how gracious. And forgiving. And how it is easy to be mad at God in the face of such horrible events but it's ok because God forgives us for being mad at him. And how we wonder how such things can be part of his plan EASY EXPLANATION THEY AREN'T!!!
    o_O
    Because there is EVIL in the world!!!! Brought forth by the DEVIL!!!!!!!!! And he leads humans to commit horrible acts because FREE WILL! GOOD AND EVIL!!!!!!
    By now, mom's cousin is audibly sobbing. My mother looked ready to throw her shoe at pastor. Great-aunt looked ready to hit him with her cane.
    Wisely, he moved on...
    ... to the story of Lazarus. Who was literally resurrected after 4 days in a tomb because Jesus . . . Liked his sister? Idk.
    Finished the story.
    "And from a newer version of the Bible. . ."
    Reads the same. Exact. Story.
    "So, there's that story for you. Let's listen to another hymn!"
    Cue horrible country cover of Amazing Grace.
    "Sing along if you want!"
    Nobody wanted to.
    Started a lenghty prayer. Finally mentioned John, the guy who had died. Commented on how great it was so many people had turned out to support the family 'under the circumstances'.
    Said amen, and just walked away and out the door.

5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I can't even imagine...there are no words in the world that can make that any less difficult.

6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Reception time.
    Everyone caravans to the hall. Food is stone cold because the service ran late (probably because he read the SAME EXACT STORY twice, with excessive commentary each time), but is still good. Cousin is sobbing and inconsolable. Her two daughter are holding it together admirably, RIGHT UNTIL I give younger daughter a hug and tell her how sorry I am. INSTANT waterworks. Give her a long hug. Her bf of TWO WEEKS (so, just about a week before dad shot himself) rushes to get her a brownie, accidentally knocks sister's soda on her lap. Cue sister sobbing. Bf gets sister pile of napkins and a new soda. Decides everyone needs a brownie. Brings brownies. No one wants a brownie. Cousin and both daughters are all sobbing, one on my shoulder.
    Another cousin decides it is a TOTALLY AWESOME IDEA to find a football game on her phone and start yelling at it. Same cousin is drinking from a large, opaque cup she is jealously guarding. Insists it is not beer, even though nobody asked. Yells louder at phone. A few people pretend to be interested to get her away from the table of sobbing. It does not work.
    Bf eats several brownies. Awkwardly offers to get someone a soda. Or a coffee. Or some spinach dip. Or literally anything, anywhere, just name it.
    No one wants anything.
    Bf pats his new gf on the shoulder, gives her sister one of his napkins to blow her nose. She hands the now-disgusting tissue back and he flees for the safety of a trash can.

CJ and ginster like this.
  7. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Mom finds a piece of chocolate in her pocket, gives it to cousin. Cousin STOPS crying for a little bit, and both daughter do too. Somebody brings an adorable baby over and hands it to her. Things calm down. Great-aunt literally takes phone away from football cousin and makes her go get some veggies and dip, which she does. A few people start sharing stories about the person we are, believe it or not, supposed to be remembering and honoring. Some mild waterworks erupt, but the tone is carefully controlled, the stories are funny and sweet, and the tears remain controlled. Cousin almost smiles, both daughters relax. Bf returns with soda for his gf, and a literal roll of paper towels.
    Football cousin returns, wants her phone back. Great aunt informs her she had put it in the kitchen, but 'forgot exsctly where'.
    It's a lie, phone is in her purse.
    Cousin storms off, it not seen again.

The day was salvaged.

CJ and ginster like this.
  8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

It was my cousin. I was very small, but I still remember certain details... my aunt, white as a sheet and staring at the coffin. My grandmother, solid as a rock, delivering the eulogy. She had made the padding, pillow, and quilt for his tiny coffin, and had made each peice with care and meaning-- a piece of his mother's wedding dress, a bit of the baby blanket she had made for his father when he was a baby, something from each of his siblings, a cow pattern for the family's cows, apples for their apple trees, blue like his eyes, yellow for the joy he brought into the life of everyone around him...
    I was 7, and I remember crying with everyone around me, while my grandmother never wavered right up until she blew him a kiss and said goodbye, and then she too cried and another uncle helped her down.
    Baby had simply died in his sleep, nothing to be done.
    He would be 20 now, almost 21. It's strange to think I am missing a cousin. He would be a fine young man.

ginster likes this.
  9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Gosh, @Dona Worry . That pastor sounds like an absolute tool. Football phone cousin does, too, btw.
    I am so sorry, especially for his immediate family... *hugs*

Dona Worry likes this.
  10. uncanny580

uncanny580 Senior Member

@Dona Worry was it actually in a church? They can be so "funny" about funerals when someone has taken their own life.

My mom's cousin's husband took his life last year, which was just absolutely shocking - not anyone you would ever think would do something like that - and my mom was worried the funeral would end up being like the one you attended. It wasn't at all thank god. But my parents have been to one or two in a church that have ended up going that way. It's terrible!

We later found out that cousin's husband actually had a massive brain tumor and everyone figures it flipped a switch.

manesntails, ginster and Dona Worry like this.