"Green" horse definition?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by whippetlovr, Oct 22, 2012.

1. TheJazzPony

TheJazzPony Senior Member+

If your discipline is trail riding, and he specializes in trail riding, he's not green. Getting out includes trails IMO. Also, if he has the training to say, start specializing in dressage, or hunters, or WP, or reining, but you just aren't doing it with him, then no, he isn't green.

2. Jinba ittai

Jinba ittai Senior Member

Do kids stay in kindergarten forever? Nope, they move into grade one, and then two, and so on. It isn't as regiment, obviously, but horses DO gain higher levels of experience over time, even if they are just plodding out on the trails. After all, not every kid winds up in university either. :)

3. TheJazzPony

TheJazzPony Senior Member+

^^^^
    exactly. We would say a highschooler is no longer "green" in terms of schooling like a kindergartener is. Maybe they choose not to go to college, but that doesn't mean they don't have the skills to do so.

4. Reitpferde

Reitpferde Senior Member+

Yeah, but....I don't do Hunters.

5. Rockyhorse

Rockyhorse Senior Member+

1 person likes this.
  6. Reitpferde

Reitpferde Senior Member+

7. Rockyhorse

Rockyhorse Senior Member+

Have they been talking about me again when I'm gone?

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

1 person likes this.
  8. palogal

palogal Senior Member

I guess I consier the same qualifications for "green" horses as I do "green" riders.
    A green rider needs a really broke horse. So a broke horse is something a green rider can ride. A green broke rider is an intermediate rider that can probably handle a green-broke horse. A trained rider is an advanced rider or a trainer and they can handle green horses. So...hold onto your math hats folks, there is an inverse relationship between the greeness of the rider and the greenness of the horse they can handle.... oh my brain hurts (says the calculus teacher)

9. SpiffyToaster

SpiffyToaster Registered

In AQHA, they have a "Green" open class. This is for horses that have not yet received 10 points or more than $1000 in that discipline. You can have some very broke horses in that class...but because they haven't proven themselves yet...they are still considered green. You can also show a horse at any age in this class.
    So by their definition, green would just be a horse that hasn't proven himself to be a seasoned horse yet.

10. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Ya'll are talking about show horses and 'regular' horses...two different birds.