Grazing Muzzle

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Smartee Pants, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Smartee Pants

Smartee Pants Senior Member

My boy was diagnosed with IR and laminitis just over a month ago. He's been confined to a stall with occasional turn-out in a round pen (with boots on). He is on a restricted diet and Thyro-L to help him lose weight.

I'm looking at grazing muzzles. I really like the Green Guard but I have to measure the waterers to see if it'll fit in them and I'm also worried about the hay feeders with slow feed nets that are in the fields. Has anyone had issues with their horses getting hung up? I'm also looking at the Tough 1 delux easy breathe - which would fit into the waterer and may be better because it's round instead of square however seems very heavy.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

2. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

The Tough 1 ones aren't very tough. My horse was able to take it off daily. Hiking through the pasture to find it wasn't fun. I don't recommend that one or the Best Friends one.

Smartee Pants likes this.
  3. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I have one of the Breathe Easy ones, in Blaze Orange so if she does get it off, its easier to find! so far this year, she has only had it off twice

4. Smartee Pants

Did you find it heavy?

5. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I don't think its very heavy. maybe only a pound or 2?

I did add halter fleece covers to it to provide a little more comfort.
    april muzzle.jpg

6. Smartee Pants

Thanks!

7. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

I used the Tough-1 for three years on one of my IR horses. I put them on under his fly mask so he couldn't get them off. He never did lose one.

Now the sweet face in my avatar was a different story, lollol. Before I figured out to put the muzzle under the face mask, that rascal not only managed to get his off, he managed to fling it 20 feet across the fence into the neighbor's hay field -- if didn't get found until DH was sitting up on the farm tractor bush hogging and saw it from his perch, lol

8. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

I have a green guard, a tough one easy breathe and a Weaver all in one.

I would personally spend the money on Green Guard. It doesn't rub like the rubber muzzles do.

My next choice would be the tough 1 easy breathe basket muzzle on a leather halter. A well fitted leather halter with sheepskin pads.

Muzzles rub. Be prepared with sheepskin and be prepared to change things up to prevent rubbing .

Horses can get quite good at grazing through muzzles so I'd restrict to only being turned out in a muzzle during safe grazing periods. 24/7 turnout with a muzzle for a laminitic IR horse is not ideal.

They can get their muzzles off easily at times too.

tlwidener and ginster like this.
  9. Smartee Pants

Thanks guys! Unfortunately, the Green Guard won't fit the waterers :( I ordered the Tough 1 Breathe Easy in Blaze Orange :) He's been getting his hay through a slow feed hay net so he's getting lots of practice with eating through a small hole :D

gaitedboomer likes this.