Grazing muzzle/pasture turnout for laminitic horse

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by endurgirl, Oct 8, 2018.

1. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Looking for a good grazing muzzle to restrict grazing by the laminitic horse. Not looking to break the bank, the Easyboot Clouds did that. :p

Also, she's been off grass for about a month, is there any specific time she needs to stay off pasture, even with the muzzle on?

2. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

Keep her off pasture early morning and evening. That's when the sugars are the highest. Shorter grasses are higher in sugar as well. No advice on muzzles, my only experience is with a Houdini who managed to remove it multiple times a day. I take that back. My advice is bright colours. Looking for his black muzzle was a pain in the area haha.

ginster and endurgirl like this.
  3. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I used a Green Guard on my gelding. Unfortunately, it is break the bank level, but couldn't find anything else he'd keep on.

endurgirl likes this.
  4. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I had a breathe easy the last 2 years, and it comes in bright orange, which makes it easy to find. She does wear the hole bigger in a few months, so I just ordered this one. I need to start putting it back on her. It doesn't fit in the auto waterer tho, so had to put a tank out.

You can tell how THRILLED she is.

Instead of one hole, it has quite a few. Is padded on the crown and jaw. Called a Flexigrazer
    20180928_174042.jpg

endurgirl likes this.
  5. palogal

palogal Senior Member

A client of mine went through a bunch because her pony kept tearing them up and getting out of them. She went with a heavy duty one that makes him look like Hannibal Lecter. The cheap ones don't last so you basically by 10 cheap ones a year or 1 good one.

endurgirl likes this.
  6. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

Get something with sheepskin to protect from rubbing. Rubs still happen some but it really minimizes it!

endurgirl likes this.
  7. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

I think I got the Shires muzzle for about 40 bucks.

I've gotten a replacement for it only because a skunk sprayed my gelding and he used the muzzle as a shield. So it's currently air drying but my gelding wears it almost full time the last few weeks and is looking fantastic.

endurgirl likes this.
  8. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

Grass is safest in early morning 5am to 10 am in the central states.

It's most dangerous in late afternoon/early evening and after frost.

My horse lives in her muzzle 24/7 from April (that's pre spring up here) to mid October/November.

Sheepskin halter guards are a must. A leather well fitting halter and a good basket.

My horse can actually eat less through a green guard muzzle than a best friend, despite the holes being larger.

After purchasing five different muzzles over the years, green guard is my go to. I've had minimal issues with it. It's lasting. It's worth the investment . 20180922_143453.jpg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  9. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

Oh! And always have a spare. You'll need it.

tlwidener and endurgirl like this.
  10. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

I have an easy breathe muzzle for sale if you're interested. Only worn a few times.