grah fleas!doggy ppl to the rescue!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jumper_pie, Apr 15, 2011.

1. jumper_pie

jumper_pie Senior Member

so its not even summer yet and the fleas are out and about at the barn, when i go to work at the barn i take my dog with me and he seems to pick up at whole family of fleas from there every day. i take him home and bath him but i cant bath him with the flea shampoo every day, and also it sucks to give such a big dog a bath every day, thats time i dont have.
    he wears a flea collar and the shampoo is supposed to prevent fleas from infesting him but neither seem to work... im tired of picking fleas off of him and i dont want him to infest the home either, he is an inside dog. i wash my blankets every day now because ill find a ramdom flea on me or the blanket.
    this is annoying, why cant the fleat collar and shampoo work lol.
    any suggestions for preventing every day outdoor fleas from getting on him?
    ive heard of the flea drops that you can use on the back of their necks, does it work?

2. aeternal

aeternal Senior Member

Like Frontline etc? Yeah, they do work! Better than the collars, too.

3. jumper_pie

jumper_pie Senior Member

yeah? because i think the fleas on tony just laugh at the collar he has on. :(

4. aeternal

aeternal Senior Member

We've used Frontline, Vectra, and I think another brand, for a LONG time. Never had fleas in our house nor more than one or two on our animals =]

5. jumper_pie

jumper_pie Senior Member

one or two i can deal with lol! thanks :D

6. aeternal

aeternal Senior Member

One thing though, I dunno how big your dog is, but some really small dogs have bad reactions to Frontline. Check with your vet about brands and stuff, and what to do if a bad reaction does happen. I will say that our Cavalier King Charles and Cavalier King Charles x Havanese, both between 11 and 15 pounds, have never had a bad reaction. Neither did the Chihuahua we had.

7. Fire

Fire Senior Member

Frontline Plus and Advantix are VERY good products. There is also a once-monthly pill that kills and repels fleas called Comfortis. There is also a pill called Capstar that will quickly kill all fleas on your pet. Capstar will not prevent fleas but it will get rid of the infestation. Then you can follow up with Frontline or Advantix.

Fleas aren't anything to mess around with. They spread tapeworms, which can be dangerous!

1 person likes this.
  8. aeternal

aeternal Senior Member

Oh, I think there is a fairly new heartworm preventative that also repels and kills fleas.

9. jumper_pie

jumper_pie Senior Member

tony is a blue heeler x border collie with some aussie we think. hes 20-25lbs im guessing. sounds good to me tho ty. and yes i know fleas are no laughin matter. my step dad works in pest control :)

10. SouthernJumper

SouthernJumper Senior Member

Agreed, when I worked for a vet we sold out of Comfortis all the time. Great stuff!

Advantage Multi

What shampoo are you using? Do NOT use Hartz or Sargentz, stuff has been known to kill. I've seen it firsthand. If you must bathe (but I really suggest Comfortis) then Dawn dishsoap is amazing for fleas.