Got Myself Into a Pickle

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Zephyer1995, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Zephyer1995

Zephyer1995 Senior Member

So I have this friend. A few months ago, she sold a horse that had become too much for her. Went into the hospital for drug rehab and was then released to continue the sober life. Well after getting out of the hospital, she started looking for another horse.
    Found another horse (unbroke 8 yr old, don't get me started on that!). Wanted to know if she could board temporarily at my place since my gelding was in boarding elsewhere. I explained to her that gelding would be coming home in spring and I had also just picked up that yearling filly. She asked for 30 days, offered to pay a fair amount. She wanted a month to get him started and get her place ready.
    She picked him up 2/25. Since then she has been there to work him 3-4 times and not recently. Her fiancé did finally bring board money sometime late March. He had given it to her to bring but she hadn't left the house.
    Since the beginning of April I have been reminding her she needs to do something with the horse by the first of May. I HAVE to bring mine home.

The day is quickly approaching. I've not heard from her. She hasn't been out to even look at the horse. I've talked to the fiancé who says he is NOT putting a horse in his yard. And even if he would consider it for her, she's not even putting forth the effort to do anything with said horse.

I'm so frustrated. I'm not the kind of person who will let this horse suffer because she isn't doing her part. But I've made a lot of personal sacrifices to afford boarding mine and now that weather is nice, it's time to bring him home. I need this horse gone.

Needed to vent but advice is welcome

2. sherian

sherian Senior Member

boarding contract?

3. Zephyer1995

If I had a contract, I wouldn't be in a pickle. Was doing a favor for a friend who had always been there to help me out when I traveled out of town and needed someone to feed for me. But she's really gone down hill lately and not the girl she was. Her fiancé said do what I need with the horse but don't want to get myself into legal trouble

4. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

Her fiance sounds like a real jerk TBH. If she won't step up to the plate, as her future husband he should be doing so.

5. Zephyer1995

There's a lot more to the story I'm not sharing publicly. This girl needs to want to help herself and she doesn't anymore.

Serenity06 likes this.
  6. SparkleDust

SparkleDust Senior Member

I would give her one last chance. Then sell the horse.

She's gotten plenty of chances. It sounds like she needs to focus on her own life right now.

DunsNPallys and RelaxMax like this.
  7. sherian

sherian Senior Member

sucks when you try to help someone out and you get screwed. With no boarding contract hard to say whether to follow the Stablekeepers act/inn keepers act (whatever your local one is called) or to call animal control and have the animal declared abandoned -( no idea the cost of a quick consult with a lawyer?). Trailering it to the fiances and tieing it to the gate post is tempting. If the fiance is the legal owner have him sell it to you for a dollar (with a bill of sale) then you can sell the horse or give it to a rescue or whatever.

8. Cynical25

Cynical25 Senior Member

Certified Letter giving 30 days to vacate or you will sell.

Sorry it's come to this. No good deed goes unpunished, huh. :/

9. UncleJohn

UncleJohn Senior Member

I agree with Cynical25 - a certified letter giving 30 days to remove the horse or forfeit any claim so you can sell for boarding expenses due.

We recently set up a new corral and have a friends horse boarded at our place. So far, she's been coming up once a week to visit, groom, and hang out, but I have a feeling this is going to wear out and she's going to lose interest. She's been paying board OK, but she is pretty clueless about what's going on with horses in general so I don't know what's going to happen.

In our case, if she just stops, I'll keep the horse. He's a nice, well mannered QH gelding, and by the looks of him he was not cheap.

As noted, no good deed goes unpunished. Good Luck.

10. Zephyer1995

Yeah. This is an unbroke 8 yr old gelding. Double registered but as part Arab and pinto. Absolutely no value. The horse rescues around here stay pretty full but will help Do owner placements.
    Fiancé is supposed to bring me his papers. I considered just hauling him there and tying him to the garage.

I tried to talk her out of this horse altogether. But I thought having a project she enjoyed would help bring her around. But she doesn't ever come by. She only lives a few miles away. She doesn't even bother to text and ask about the horse. God forbid he have some sort of medical emergency. I'd work with her with space if she seemed to care enough to drag herself outta bed and come groom the poor thing!