1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured Got my new horse!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Mirage, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

Some pictures of my girlies together. They get along great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since Royal is such a diva, I went with pink as her color. Lol. I bought pink polo wraps..... and gave up on leg 3. I can wrap vetwrap, but not polo wraps. So I gave them to my friend that wanted pink polo wraps anyways.
    She ended up giving me some pink tack from a previous horse she had. She gave me the pink and blue sport boots in the picture. A headstall with pink stones. And a set of pink and blue reins.
    [​IMG]

2. BroadaxJuniorMint

BroadaxJuniorMint Full Member

Yes they do tend to have a slight dish to their cheeks. She reminds me a of beautiful Paint gelding that I co-owned. Her markings are almost eerily similar.

For critique I would say she needs to have exercise that will build her muscles up over a few months. She seems like she comes from one of the more refined build lines like mine did (slimmer build like a TB rather than heavy muscle like a QH), so she won't develop a real beefy look. To be honest I am not the best a say well this part here and here are a problem. I tend to look and say do I see any glaring issues and his the horse as a whole fairly balanced. She is nicely balanced. I like her slight roman nose.

I will tell you having a horse with four white hooves can be a bit of a challenge. She will probably need a supplement to promote hoof growth and strength. It's also a good idea to find a topical natural product to encourage hoof growth and health. Something like Yoders Hoof Dressing would be great.

Mirage likes this.
  3. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Why? I thought that they had debunked color being the deciding factor in hoof quality, or is it back in favor again?

4. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

It's still debunked. Absolutely no difference. Sparky has 3 white feet and his feet are as hard and tough as rocks. He's never worn a shoe in his life. Bella has 2 whites - no different than her dark feet. You just notice chips or flaking more on white feet, I think that's how it got started.

lucky_pine, RelaxMax, Mirage and 3 others like this.
  5. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

I honestly don't pay attention to hoof color.
    My first horse, the one my dad still has, has two white feet. You would think he has metal feet. He has never taken a lame step in his life due to his feet.

The other one that my stepmother has, has all four black feet. He can't go without shoes. He has needed them since my neighbor got him.

Royal needs work on her hoofs because she was trimmed VERY wrong in my opinion. She needed trimming when I got her to correct her angles. But she did not look like she was a few weeks past due for a trim and reset.
    So she may be that weird horse that grows hoof slowly. But I'm not contributing it to white feet.

6. BroadaxJuniorMint

BroadaxJuniorMint Full Member

Look I was speaking of my experience as a paint owner. Not about white hooves in general. I've had horses with white that do hold up well. My paint was the only horse I had who had to have shoes regardless of amount of work or additional supplements. It was not a comment about all white hooves. I can see how someone might have interpreted it that way but it was not how I meant it.

Mirage likes this.
  7. Larkspade

Larkspade Full Member

I have a paint with all white and I've only seen like a weird dent on her hooves.

8. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

Shoot, now I just realised I have no clue what color Maxs hooves are. White maybe??? Black??? The suspense is killing me

9. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I trim my horse's feet, and some for a couple friends. I was trimming my friend's TB for the first time and couldn't figure out why things just looked...different. Wrong. Not normal.

He had black hooves! I'd never trimmed black hooves before! It was a day of learning. lol

10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

:rofl::rofl:

Spoopy_Doopy_Potato likes this.