Got my new horse!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Mirage, Mar 6, 2017.

1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

She is very pretty, congrats.

Just wondering, how the playing with the bit is an easy fix? We have a mare at the barn who is always playing with her bit, they have tried all sorts and she still does it!

2. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

I used to have a mare who would flop her tongue around all the time, bit or no bit. She never put her tongue over the bit, she just liked to stick her tongue out and have people play with it. I just ignored it since it didn't really effect her use as a trail horse. But I know on the Standardbred tracks, we used to gently tie the horse's tongues to prevent them from getting them over the bit. That was always the funniest part of the day, trying to catch a big ol' flopping tongue and tying it up. The seasoned horses would just let us catch it, some would even flop their tongue out as soon as they saw the bridle. It was the younger horses who looked offended. They never freaked out, but they had this look on their faces like, "Um... wait. What? You're doing what with my WHAT?! Okay, whatever... but this is weird."

3. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

As soon as I get her into a pen where she can safely be left with the bridle on, she will wear it for the day. Get to eat and drink with it. Take it off at night or when no one is there to supervise.
    If it needs to be done for a few days, so be it.
    But also if it's just her "thing" top play with it and it can't be fixed, oh well. As long as she doesn't put her tongue over the bit I'm fine with it.
    My only concern is that she does it even when trotting and loping the barrels. I don't want her biting herself or getting her tongue pinching between the bit and her bars.

If that's the case, I might try the tongue tying.

4. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

If you tie the tongue, be very, very mindful of what you use to tie it. We used to use a soft piece of... I don't even know what kind of material it was. But it was soft, stretchy and at no risk to damage their tongue. I've heard of people using a piece of leather to tie the tongue as well. Just don't use twine or anything that would possible cut or damage the tongue. I know you probably know that, but I just wanted to mention it for anyone else who may find this thread and think it's a good idea to tie a tongue. Be VERY mindful of what you use, because tongues are delicate.

5. Standardbredgirl

Standardbredgirl Senior Member

You got a gorgeous girl!:loveflag:

Mirage likes this.
  6. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

We both ate dirt today.
    I thought the ground was nice and dry. Well... I was wrong. I was trotting Royal around the barrel and she slipped.
    She went down, jumped up. Went down, jumped up. Went down again and I want over her head and into the electric fence.

7. Standardbredgirl

Standardbredgirl Senior Member

:eek::eek: Are you both okay?! Falling/get thrown hurts bad enough let alone going into an electric fence!

8. GONE ROPING

GONE ROPING Full Member

NO!!:eek: I hope you're OK.. So sorry that happened...

9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yikes-!! Hang in there, beats barbed wire believe me..got the scars from that one. Jingling for ya-!!

10. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

Yes, we are both ok. Luckily my boyfriend unplugged the fence. I didn't know though, so the only thing going through my mind was, "I'm gonna get hit!" Lol