Got highlights in my hair! but I'm not loving them :/ Can I dye over it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by OregonRain, Apr 6, 2011.

1. OregonRain

OregonRain Senior Member

ok I don't really hate them....I just want my hair back to it's normal color, in all honesty :blushing: I got it dyed today but I really just want to go out and get some dye and dye over it tomorrow. My hair is normally very VERY dark brown and I got caramel-y highlights. They came out a bit too orangey looking :/ If I got some dye tomorrow that is very close to my normal color, could I just dye over it? Or should I wait?

To make matters more complicated, it was my BO who dyed it (she's in beauty school) and I really don't want to hurt her feelings by saying I don't like it :/ but that issue is for another thread. Right now I'd just like to know if it's SAFE for me to dye it over tomorrow or should I wait.
    Thanks in advance :)

eta: well I slept on it and decided that there are just a few spots that i'd like to darken up rather than dying my whole head back. any advice (or warnings) on that process are appreciated :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. jaru

jaru Full Member

Did she use a bleaching type agent to get the highlights? If so, a blue toner ought to take some of the orange out.

If not, you should be able to dye over it, just be careful what shades you use, as anything is going to come out lighter in color on those lighter strands. I don't even think dying it black would make it go away entirely. And wait a few days, so your hair can recover from the initial dying.

3. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

If you try to dye it you will end up with blotchy hair.

Right now you have at least two colors in your hair, whatever color you try to dye it will darken both colors but not to the same degree. If you want your hair three shades darker you need to go five or six on the highlights, this is virtually impossible to do at home with a home kit.

On top of that bleached hair tends to not accept dye as readily as unbleached hair.

If you really want it back to normal I would suggest finding a good salon to fix it for you. Just be ready to pay through the nose.:wink:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  4. Chow

Chow Senior Member+

I would definitely wait a few days, both to give your hair a chance to recover and to give yourself some time to adjust to the change. Then if you are still unhappy I would go to a good salon and get some advice on what can be done. Sometimes they can just put a toner on that will tone down the orange.
    If you just try to put another dye over it at home you may not get the results you are after and further compromise the hair so that it could result in damage if you then have to have something else done later.

5. Cruella_DeVille

Cruella_DeVille Full Member

Actually if you wanted to dye over it you could just get something a little bit darker that way when it fades in about 3 days it will be the color you want. I dye my hair a lot and went to school for cosmo for a little bit. But I don't see why you couldn't just dye over it today i have done it before plenty of times.

6. Cruella_DeVille

Cruella_DeVille Full Member

Also I would suggest going to a salon and having them do it. Although buying it yourself is fine as well. But they can put a toner on it to pull the orange color out if you think you would like that. But yes it's okay to dye it if your hair isn't fried.

7. OregonRain

OregonRain Senior Member

thanks for the advice everyone. This is the first time I've had dye in my hair in about, oh....15 years?? lol! I figured that since I want to go darker, it would be easier than if I originally had lighter hair and wanted to go back to light.
    I guess I'll wait a couple days....I woke up this morning and still don't really like it. I'm not sure if she used some bleaching agent. I was thinking about just getting a darker color, testing out a strip of my hair and if it worked, I'd just do the rest. I at least want my bangs back to the way they were. They just clash with my dark eyebrows too much. I guess I'll give it a day or 2. Thanks again everyone!

8. Babeesgirl

Babeesgirl Senior Member

Your supposed to wait up to I belive its 4 weeks or a little more to color over any color in your hair. Also if you wash your hair the color will fade a little bit if you want to wait and see if you like it after it faids a bit.

My Grandma does my hair and I been getting my hair colored/highlighted for years.

9. OregonRain

OregonRain Senior Member

4 weeks?? I don't know if I can wait that long, honestly! I might just go to Sally's and see what they have there. I don't want to go to a salon, just don't have the time these days. Ugh, why did I get pressured into this?!! It just looks so unnatural :/

10. jaru

jaru Full Member

I've never heard of the 4 weeks rule. I usually hear 48 or so hours, so the oils in your hair can work back down the strands.

I used to dye over bleached hair all the time. On my own head too. :p Black, brown, red, blue, purple, you name it, it sticked. It is not that bleached hair is unaccepting of new color. Quite the opposite, it could soak it up really well given time to settle. It is your hair that is unaccepting of color in general. Some people, dye sticks really really well to their hair. Like me, I can dye my hair black, and leave it for 2 months and it will not fade. I had blue bangs that I did not touch up for months until eventually the ends faded from water run off in the shower. I dyed my hair burgundy brown about 2 years ago. The ends of my hair are still red from that dye.

Others, can dye black, or any color they want, and it will fade in a week or two. My mom dyes her greys blonde, and it won't stick a full 4 weeks. Her greys just do not hold color as well.