1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured Goose - road to a hunter ponypony

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Circle C, Nov 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I thought i would go ahead and start Goose his own thread since JR has one.

I bought Goose at the end of August. He is a 2015 POA/IQPA registered colt (now gelding as of october). He was not handled much when I got him and I could barely catch him in a stall. This photo was taken in July.
    2016-11-17 21.34.22.png

I just worked on basic handling and grooming for the 1st month. He was a little skittish and spooky for a while, but he worked out of it. By the end of October he was looking really good and was getting
    pretty quiet.

This photo is from mid sept.
    20160914_175251.jpg

We slowly made it to saddling.

This was taken at the end of sept
    Screenshot_2016-09-25-18-49-49-1.png

emali06 and Friesiangirl like this.
  2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Here is the before and after comparison.
    2016-11-04_20.38.17.jpg

I started mounting/dismounting and climbing all over him at the beginning of november.
    These were taken the first part of november.
    20161103_181059.jpg

Screenshot_2016-11-03-20-20-43-1.png

3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Circle C likes this.
  4. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Here is a short video from this month. I love this pony. He's going to be so cool. :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

He is pretty, am I reading something wrong, he is a 2015 model, so a yearling?

prairiesongks, emali06 and ginster like this.
  6. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

While I wouldn't personally sit on a horse until at least a full 2 years (by DOB), sitting on him for a minute and a little walking probably won't hurt. But then again, he is small and his back is probably not quite ready. That's all I will say on that subject.

Now, I would love to see some videos of his movement! You're aiming for hunters?

ginster likes this.
  7. QuarterHorseMomma

QuarterHorseMomma Full Member

I personally agree on waiting to mount him. I'm a bit bigger so I personally don't like mounting until closers to the 3 year old mark. However saddling is something that you can start as a yearling. He's a beautiful boy that's for sure.

8. phantomhorse13

phantomhorse13 Registered

Cute pony. He certainly looks to have some potential when he is done growing.

What are your reasons for backing him so early? Are there hunter futurities you are hoping for?

9. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I'm not really looking to get in to a training debate, but I do lightly start most of my horses the fall of their yearling year. I let them be all winter and then seriously start them in the spring when they are actually 2.
    I have only sat on him bareback and walked him around a flat surface for 10-15 min at a time, and only 3 times. It's not going to hurt him a bit. I probably won't do much else with him until spring.

It's the way I prefer to start my horses.

Yes, aiming for hunters with him. I have a video of him saddled and trotting on the LL, but I haven't loped him on the LL. I try not to do a lot of lunging with any horse, especially a baby. Just enough to make sure they aren't going to buck. I do a lot of ponying them along side another horse under saddle tho. I do believe in straight work with young horses and keeping the circles to a minimum.

10. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

He's way too young to be sitting on and you aren't a small person so him being a pony size yearling makes it even worse.

He is cute though. Very glad you gelded him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.