1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured Good rebuttal to Last Chance Corral's "shame of the TB industry" nursemare foals.

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by meljean, Oct 10, 2016.

1. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Nurse mares, why we need them, and how to stop the production of nurse mare foals: A rebuttal to Last Chance Corral

From above link.

And I have already urged many donors to this organization as well as others to truly investigate what they are donating to. The definition of fraud is “wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial and personal gain” and fraud is what this organization is committing. Their taxes speak volumes into where the money they are raising actually goes. The nursemare foals with which they are “rescuing” are actually bought from a provider that was neither killing the foals nor neglecting them.

2. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I don’t believe that the reason that the TB industry does not allow AI is because too many TBS would be bred, I believe that the TB industry does not allow AI, because it would decentralize the TB industry and the Huge Farms who’s owners sit on the boards would see their farms in ruin.

Friesiangirl, paval, ginster and 3 others like this.
  3. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Lost me coming around the bend.

What does this even mean?

4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

The rebuttal to argue that Nurse mares are required the author states that the TB industry does not allow AI because more TB breedings would occur.

Friesiangirl and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

Right now, the TB industry is centralized in states like Kentucky, where most of the stallions stand and broodmares are housed. There is a large infrastructure of businesses from farm labor to veterinarians to feed stores to hay growers depending on this centralized business.

AI would allow Joe Blow on his back 10 acres in say, Wyoming, to breed his runner to 'sire-of-the-year' standing 1,000 miles away without using any of the resources back in Kentucky or contributing to their economy.
    And all of Joe Blow's friends, too.

So, a little $ in stallion owner's pocket; but possibly lots of non-doers in the foal crop, which is larger but has less opportunity as the owners are not wealthy enough to race them except in cheap claimers.

And no $ for all those counting on the horse business being in Ky.

6. Ale85414

Ale85414 Full Member

I've always been interested in LCC. This is the first I'm hearing of them being fraudulent. Of course, I just follow them on FB and haven't actually done any real research on them (I admit - I just like looking at the babies). Would you advise taking it one step further and not purchasing foals from them? A boycott, if you will.

CoffeeBean likes this.
  7. Varisha

Varisha Senior Member

You need to do the research and make up your own mind of what you wish to support or not. Nobody else can make that choice for you. :)

8. meljean

meljean Senior Member

About AI. The fact that semen can be extended with AI, means 4 or more foals could be born from one ejaculation. We already have an overabundance of horses now, so how is adding 3 more for every 1 logical? Am against it being used period.

And FL has a large TB industry, as does CA and MD. If you want to race TBs you need to be where they are in enough supply to be able to race yours. And that means a state that can support the industry. Which many just can't.

CoffeeBean likes this.
  9. meljean

meljean Senior Member

There are plenty of threads on this, just type in nursemare foals in your search bar on the upper right, and should pull up a lot of them so you can read through them.

These "poor orphan foal" groups, bank on people not really knowing anything about the TB racing industry, and also they prey on the people who really know nothing about horses for the most part, and they talk up a good game to the people that do know about horses in general, such as Westfall.

And each year I am finding more and more of these groups too, all pretty much using lcc's words.

CoffeeBean likes this.
  10. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Well, when lying proves profitable there are naturally going to be imitators.