1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

GollyDolly - New Here Foaling Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by dollymama, May 30, 2016.

1. dollymama

dollymama Full Member

I admit to missing that sweet little fawn color!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. dollymama

dollymama Full Member

Well I figured it has been a few months and I would make an update.

We have some big changes coming up soon (this Saturday) and I am quite nervous.

Molly is 278 days old now so just over 9 months old. This Saturday, my friend and I will be hauling her to a young horse program in Virginia.

Molly is still not weaned although she spends most of her day away from mom. However, I have come to the conclusion that regardless of my vet's feelings - mama would gladly keep Molly on her until well... whenever.

Lately, Molly has been quite a pig to her dam. She is more alpha over her mother and her mother just kind of lets her do anything and everything. In fact, Molly will push off her mom off of all of the hay piles. Even if she aggressively nurses on mom, mom does well.. nothing except squeal.

Honestly, I think this has also translated into how she even views humans as well. When her mindset is right, she is actually very willing to lead nicely (mom and daughter eat separately for breakfast and dinner), pick her feet up, groom, etc. But when she decides it is not in her agenda she can be quite disrespectful with even not respecting a correction. Since she is getting so big my barn owner and myself thought a change of scenery would do her good especially in a program where she is consistently getting handled everyday with some baby training. Part of the program is to help her feel confident about her future work and have individualized focus on the key things such as leading respectfully consistently, loading/unloading, tying, carrying a small surcingle, patience, respect, bathing and proper turnout for the Dressage breed classes and inspection. What I love about the farm is that although for liability reasons they will not turn her out with the others but will share stall and turnout with others around her so she will still get to be social and learn versus just having the company of her mom.

She will be gone for a minimum of 90 days although I am leaning towards the full 120 days since it would fall nicely with Oldenburg inspections in my state.

I am quite nervous about this Saturday, I don't think this will be fun for any of us, Molly, mom, or the humans.

Nothing else major to report. Molly did have a small bought of cellulitis in her left hind leg - remedied after a week of antibiotics. She was never sore or off on it but one day she just seemed a little stocked up on one side of her left hind. We could never find a wound or anything else.

Here is a pretty recent pic. Even since this pic was taken she seems to have grown even taller. She is majorly butt high right now. Molly March 7.jpg

CheyAut, Sarai, Sam C. and 6 others like this.
  3. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Oh, they grow so fast! It sounds like things are going great !

dollymama likes this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I was thinking about you all lately, omgosh it's the tweens she's going through to me-!! Looking good though. ;)

5. dollymama

dollymama Full Member

Hah thanks! I hope that it carries through hauling this weekend and well, I hope Mama copes decently enough when filly is taken away.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. dollymama

dollymama Full Member

Hah!

She reminds me of my 3 year old (soon to be 4 in august) cousin, who when something is about to happen she doesn't like she will say, "no no no no no no! I don't think so."

Thank you, I am partial to her. I can't wait to see the things she will learn over the next 90 days.

Today, our biggest challenge will be to get blood for her Coggins - I then get to transport it to the lab about 45 min away for fast processing. She has been kind enough getting her booster shots, but the blood draw will be interesting today!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. dollymama

dollymama Full Member

Well, we successfully got Molly's blood pulled (she was a little more antsy over the blood draw so the vet and I gave her a few cookies and she was quite distracted and did much better). Got the Coggins back this morning and met up with the vet to fill out the health certificate. One hurdle down, now just loading and hauling the 1hr45 min - 2hours on Saturday.

Alsosusieq2 and froglander like this.
  8. dollymama

dollymama Full Member

Well, today was the big day. I had been looking at this day with utter dread. My friend, her husband, and I planned out the timing of the Ace (we gave what my vet prescribed 1.5cc orally), the timing of rubbing the Confidence EQ on her nose, how we were going to maybe use a butt rope, a lunge whip if necessary, making the trailer most inviting, etc.

When we walked her out to the trailer and kept mom locked in the pasture's shed row. Mom was quite agitated but Molly walked up to the trailer calmly (even wearing a head bumper), sniffed the step up. Tried to step up... we let her just chill and sniff and back up a little and walk up again. Second try she just jumped on without even a swish of a lunge whip or anything else. We gave her a cookie and went on our way.

My friend's husband didn't let out Mama until we were way out of ear shot. She took it hard when she came out, galloping around the pasture screaming. He said she did that for awhile and after he had to run a few errands and he came back he spent quite a bit of time with her grooming, giving her some treats, and just hanging out in the field with her.

Hauling was pretty easy - the trip was about a little over 2 hours. About 30 min away Molly went back to calling out during the ride but nothing else, no kicking, no scrambling, just calling out.

At the new farm, they took her into their working area so they could get an idea of how she is and just to see how she leads, walks around, etc. She has a stall beside a pony and will later be turned out with either a pony or a gelded yearling colt who is mild mannered (I actually was glad they offered this since I did want her to have more socialization since mom has not really instilled a lot of manners or horse education).

For the next 30 days, she will not be able to have a visit while they get her into the new program and new routine. She seemed to be a lot more calm when we left - watching the kids playing on four wheelers, the dogs, and the other horses.

When we got back Dolly became worked up again as soon as she saw the trailer, but not worked up enough to turn down dinner.

Still a little shocked how "easy" today was. Now I will just have to relax and trust the process for the next thirty days. :)

CheyAut, Varisha, Sam C. and 4 others like this.
  9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I'm relieved it went so well, it should.. but doesn't always. Her loading easily was a plus. It'll be good for her and as it dovetails with the fall, it should work out perfect. Congratulations on an easy day-!! :)

dollymama likes this.
  10. spacely

spacely Senior Member

Not being allowed to visit my weanling for 30 days would not fly with me. Actually a huge red flag. Makes me wonder just what they are doing to get her into the new program. Sorry, but if you are paying the bills they do not have a right to tell you that you cannot visit your horse for a month.

Bebe likes this.