1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

GollyDolly - New Here Foaling Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by dollymama, May 30, 2016.

1. dollymama

dollymama Full Member

Hi!

I am new here. Dolly is my mare and today she is at 325 days. She is in foal to an Oldenburg jumper stallion. Both Dolly and I are new at this, she is a maiden at 16 and this is my first horse every in foal (and me thinks my last - definitely not for the faint of heart!).

Dolly had a soft tissue injury in her right front early last year and was on rehab at the vet's from April to September. I viewed it as a serendipitous time since I had always thought about breeding her (quite frankly if I got an exact carbon copy of her I would be tickled) and it just seemed like timing worked out well (she was off anyhow, stallion was at the farm, already paying for all of the rest of vet care).

She was bred with fresh semen and didn't take until the second try on July 10th with frozen semen (the stallion was actually at the Pan Am games on this next attempt). Her pregnancy has been pretty uneventful (knock on wood) - always had very good ultrasounds, no sign of twins. The only thing that my vet felt needed to be done was for her to pack on the vet in the next few weeks. I was so paranoid when he had said after she left in September to not let her get fat that I could have put more pounds on her so we have been doing that since she arrived (she loves this new guilt free of extra alfalfa, a little more grain, and afternoon soaked alfalfa cube snacks).

At day 296 she moved back over to the vet's for foaling. Early, but I wanted to do a clean slate from previous barn to a new place so I didn't owe anyone partial board. She will be moving to a close friend's farm after foaling (new facility will be in their own paddock with an outdoor shed with one big stall).

At day 302 I started noticing a tiny little udder. Her udder is still pretty small and firm although you can squeeze out clear, salty "milk." She could care less if you fiddle with her udder, she has always been pretty tolerant of anything (although she has never liked a garden hose).

I am pretty nervous - I work in consulting and I typically travel a lot, but I have cleared my schedule to work from home until June 19th (unfortunately I have an unavoidable business trip that week). My primary vet will be away for 2 weeks starting today (but will be home on the weekends), but he has other vets on staff as well as all of the barn managers and other horse caretakers. It feels like the perfect storm of dates.

Other than that, she is pretty content with being a horse. I have yet to see the baby move, but I can definitely tell how her belly changes (we went with a whole week with the foal deciding to seemingly live on one of her sides). She gets turned out in an adjacent paddock to some other mares and foals. She loves standing beside one foal and nickers to her (follows the mare and foal as best as she can in her own paddock). At night she is turned in and shares a stall wall with a mare and her filly. This week she is getting a Foal-Alert sutured this week although as she gets closer people will be sleeping there at the stall anyhow. The vet's family lives above the clinic and the on-call vet is close by as well as well as the primary barn manager/assistant.

Attached Files:

2. Wilbur~

Wilbur~ Full Member

Beatuful mare! :) Whats the name of the stallion? My mare is allso getting closer to foal, 316 today and I'm in the same situation as you :D Foaling is not new to mee and i've been take care of other peoples mares and their foals, but this one is going to bee first foal that's mine, out of my own mare, so its difrent, lots more stress and nervounes i think :LOL: my mare is allso maiden, 18 year this june.

I'm going to watch your thread, and i cant wait to see the baby pics! (y);)

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Looking forward to photos of the foal when it arrives. She's a beauty, that alert is so helpful. Welcome!

dollymama likes this.
  4. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. Beautiful mare so I am looking forward to your updates and seeing the foal. What plans do you have for the foal? Will your mare be able to compete again or are you going to retire her?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. dollymama

dollymama Full Member

Hi!

Her stallion is Quincy Car (Quincy Car Oldenburg) - he is a Grand Prix jumper.

Here was a photo on the HorseGym's website of Quincy at Pan Am last summer. What I love about Quincy is his behavior and attitude (well not to mention his athletic attributes).

You are pretty close with my own mare at 316. We are 327 today. :) She has a firm udder but not really big. Her milk is still pretty much the straw colored, salty serum. I finally trimmed her mane and gave her a big scrub yesterday (of course being a grey she has already dirtied up one side).

It IS a lot of nerves. Quite nerve wracking.

Today, I bought a foal halter so it is starting to feel more and more imminent. I will have to search your history to see if you have posted your mare. :)

Dolly is pretty non-plussed.

Attached Files:

6. dollymama

dollymama Full Member

Plan for the baby is hopefully a dressage mount. I have a close friend who is very talented and I would love to see her compete with baby. One thing that I have always lamented about my friend is that she never had the money to buy a super nice horse so she always trying to find the diamonds in the rough and then selling them to try to get that next one. I am not as talented of a rider so that is my biggest plan. And hopefully with the mind of mama and dad - baby will be quiet enough for an amateur as well.

As for my mare, I have not ridden in years. That is a long story, Dolly was leased out for a few years while I worked quite a bit abroad and was finishing up an MBA. She had a great leasee but after the injury I just couldn't fathom her ever being under someone else's care again. So my plans for Dolly is to just go back to the basics and do lower level dressage and have fun. I have been working hard to get back into shape so that when the time comes Dolly and I can both get back to basics.

If she doesn't stay sound enough for that (she has been "retired" since the rehab) then I will be content to just do some trail rides.

Alsosusieq2 and prairiesongks like this.
  7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I hope the foal is healthy and is just what you're looking for. The stallion is beautiful and quite talented so between the two the odds are very good. I'm looking forward to seeing the little star when he's ready to make his entrance. :)

dollymama likes this.
  8. dollymama

dollymama Full Member

Well, I got to the barn today (we are day 332) and she was inside and had notices on her stall to leave her in and ensure lights are all in. The foal predicting kit suggested we have less than 48 hours. Her bag is much more full and firm today.

Alsosusieq2 and CheyAut like this.
  9. dollymama

dollymama Full Member

Well day 334 and no baby yet. Dolly is still turned into the large birthing stall (it is huge) since they do not want her outside away from the Foal-Alert alarms in case she begins labor. I now have access to her camera at night. Yesterday on the foal kit she only filled out one of the 5 squares. Milk today is still yellow but more cloudy. Other than that she is enjoying all of the extra treats and watching all of the activities in the barn

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. dollymama

dollymama Full Member

I have to admit I LOVE Being able to spy on here while at work.

Attached Files:

CheyAut and Alsosusieq2 like this.