GOALS...what are you working on?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by BluemoonOKy, Jun 16, 2018.

1. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Had a fantastic lesson today and am working on...
    With Blue, her reward is speed and Sevey's is to relax or stand...I am going to give more rewards and praise more often. More positive energy. With myself and improving my own biomechanics, I need to find my elbows, get off the right rein and straighten my wrists...pointing index finger can help this. Breathe into transitions. SUPPORT with outside rein before asking for bend. Give more with the inside rein and both reins when asking for transition...and being more PATIENT with my horses and myself.

2. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

Relaxation. Forever working on relaxation. Forever saying, "Relax, Max." My username is very relevant here.

3. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

Working carrying my hands a little bit higher, I tend to drop them and let my fingers become loose (bad since I'm a violinist and I need those fingers!!) Also working on strengthening my left side. I'm naturally built so that I always collapse to the left, even when walking around. I've discovered some exercises on my fitness ball in front of the mirror that help me practice off the horse. My mental goal for the year is to stop being so dang hard on myself and to relax a little bit (or a lot some days :p) My goal is to have lessons be fun for me and not just stressful.

GONE ROPING and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

Putting on the saddle and bridle, walking over poles, going in the trailer, walkies. We took a break for a bit for wolf teef extraction.

5. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

Forward motion, collection, and nailing the lope. It's getting better and better.

6. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Not crying when I try to lope my horse

7. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Getting the pones healthy... Jessie was just diagnosed with PPID and has been on and off sore (muscle sore) and Samson just turned up lame this morning from what seems to be an abscess. I was hoping to get Sam out more while I do nice and easy work with Jess, but it looks like I'm basically horseless at the moment (n) OK not horseless, just chock full of money eaters who aren't going to be working very hard for a little while :rofl:

8. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

leads, simple changes, standing:rolleyes::cautious:, getting in the trailer:mad::rolleyes:, and desensitizing to pool noodles. im very happy with the progress tho:D

9. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

My lease horse is pretty ancy all the time. So the overall goal of all of my rides is just to get her a little more relaxed. Her transitions aren't great, so I work on those too. She rides around like a giraffe, but I think that's just because she's out of shape. Her lope transition is awful (also likely because she's out of shape) and she kind of leaps into it and speeds up a lot. So we've been working on a more relaxed lope transition; not slow necessarily, just calmer.
    For me, I've been working on my posting diagonal changes. As a western rider, it's never something that I've worked on. But I'm trying to get it a little smoother. I also focus on my breathing and body movements in an effort to help relax the horse and encourage better transitions.

BUT, my biggest goal right now is just to get on as many horses as I can before I buy one. So far, so good (y)

Larkspade, Pony123 and GONE ROPING like this.
  10. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

My horse is fat. Our summer goal is to be less fat.