Go hug your horses

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by mooselady, May 9, 2018.

1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Whatever tack you ride in, whatever you do with them just don't forget to hug them.

This evening we got a sudden message that the barn was closed, always worrying...then we heard that one of the barn favorites had been found in the pasture with his leg broken...

This horse had done so much with his owners, he was sold last year to a new owner in the barn, and was working his magic with his new person.

A barn favorite, handsome, honest and now gone...

Hug your ponies, you never know what will happen....BUT at the same time..

A fairly new horse owner was there when he was found, and helped looking after him while they waited for the vet...She now can't get the picture out of her mind, and is thinking of asking for stall board rather than pasture board. I had to tell her that accidents happen, to every horse, and you can make the place safe, but you can't stop it...All running the what ifs in your mind does is destroy the NOW....

Go love your horses, keep them as safe as you can...

2. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

Such a sad situation, and and apt reminder to not that them for granted. I'm trying hard not the neglect the other 2 for mama and my new baby. It doesn't help that they are fascinated by the filly and mama gets made when they even look over the fence! Sorry for the loss:(

mooselady likes this.
  3. osage

osage Senior Member

So sad

4. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

A sad thing, but you seem to have the best words of wisdom to comfort and help people.

5. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

So so sad.

6. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

Love them and enjoy them before their gone.
    It's always never enough time.

Bittersweet but good story. Thank you for sharing

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Good advice ML, it's never enough time so don't waste it.

8. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

Very true, you never know how much you'll get, so make the best of every day.

ginster likes this.
  9. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

This sounds so familiar. I know I've talked about it a lot on here, so sorry for the rehash, but I don't really have anywhere else I can talk about it. Nobody wants to hear the grisly parts of horse ownership.

I've owned and taken care of horses in some capacity for the past 23 years of my life. I always knew they were accident prone and took injuries and illness in stride but nothing messed me up more than having one of my horses break his leg in his dry lot.

I tried so hard to make the paddock as safe as it could possibly be and he still somehow broke it. I don't really know how to this day, best guess is he stuck it through the wooden rail fence and my other horse plowed into him while playing.

Ironically, I used to feel guilty about being a fan of racing til my pampered pony in a groomed dry lot died of the same type of fracture that takes so many racehorse lives.

It took about two years after it happened for me to be able to see my horses running or rearing or playing without freaking out. I still sometimes have nightmares of horses with broken legs. But what finally started to get me over it is the knowledge that you literally cannot keep them safe. The most expensive horses in the world with all the best vet care and money at their owner's disposal still break legs and have to be put down.

So all you can really do is live in the moment. Give them the best lives possible and enjoy them because we truly never know what tomorrow will bring, for any of us. And we can remember the ones we've lost.

[​IMG]

10. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

I'm so sorry for this loss :(

Back in 2013 when I was boarding, the BO had a TB, Bailey, that she had raised from the start. Bailey was Amy's heart horse - a wonderful horse - perfect for whatever rider was on her back - a sweet mare.

I wasn't there during the day when it happened but when I got there in the evening I learned that Bailey had broken her leg out in the pasture and had been put down that afternoon. The break was so awful they couldn't even move her to put her down - had to do it right where she stood - frozen.

We can try to think of everything but in the end we are human and they are strong animals - and freak things happen. While no one knows for sure what happened to Bailey, I know in my gut it had something to do with the absolutely rotten chestnut mare that I had been watching terrorize the other mares for two weeks prior.

But yes, live in the now and love on them all you can. All 4 of mine get a few minutes of individual lovins each morning at feeding time.

mooselady likes this.