1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Giving Ace before a horse show??

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by TBnut, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Berlunz

Berlunz Senior Member

I second these two. If you need ace just to get your horse out there, then maybe you need to rethink his future. We aced a mare to get her to load when we were out of state. It was a mare who lived in a pasture all her life (12) and had only been haltered for the first time a week before we bought her. We have also used ace for medical reasons. But if your going to be riding the horse then its very dangerous and typically a bad idea.

Since this is your first time riding at a show its natural for a horse to react like that. Take your horse to shows and try just walking him around on the ground. At home ride with other horses. Try and set up an "in house" show with your trainer. My trainer sets up group lessons for show riding, to get peoples horses used to the show environment in a setting they are used too. Also horses how to handle riding in a show ring with other horses and people around.

The night before a show ride your horse and ride him longer than normal. Really really work him out. At a show he will be pumping with adrenaline, and its okay to wear him out the night before if your trying to get him used to shows not win them etc. Now once he gets over all these fears wearing him out the night before will not be to your advantage, as the adrenaline high wont be there and all he will be is worn out. When you get there take him to a big round pen and let him run off some extra adrenaline and just calm down a bit. Just ride around the show grounds and get him used to everything and if he is calm enough try some more complicated things in the warm up ring and if it goes well then enter a class in the show ring.

I know there are also other options besides Ace out there. A lot of feed stores will sell stuff like B-Calm (I think its what its called?). I am pretty sure this stuff is not legal for tested shows and I have never used it but I believe (not sure, never used it myself) its not as strong or dangerous as Ace.

2. TBnut

TBnut Full Member

Thank you everyone for all of your advice and thoughts!! He is young, and I know he is a nervous TB, so I am willing to take the time with him. At his first show I did lunge him and this did not help, but I have since taken him to a clinic and he behaved quite nicely. I know the traffic and loud PA system at a horse show keys him up, so I am going to schedule a low traffic schooling show next month to help him along without the ACE!!

3. JKetsche

JKetsche Senior Member

Best of luck. Keep us posted!

4. rosewood

rosewood Senior Member+

I'm not really familiar with ACE or any other drug for that matter. I'm a simple person and feel that horses are who they are for a reason and just need a good quality grain, quality hay, and turned out for a majority of the day. Did you buy this horse recently? Do you know how much experience he had in the past? How is he at home? Does he get jazzed up about a few things? Baby gitters can be pretty dangerous, but I say expose him to as much as you can. You can bring him to shows and not actually show him. Don't need to ride him really either, just walk him around. Make sure you have really good ground manners at home because when you take him to a show or whenever he gets nervous he's going to forget 50% of it. Horses can crawl all over you when they are nervous, but if he's not constructive with his energy now, he's going to always be a handful. When my mare gets nervous, I let her go sniff whatever it is that's scary. It allows her to figure it out and then if she gets really out of hand I get her body moving. Backing her up, using the rope to move her butt, push her fronthand around. I get really big with my motions to almost get her attention. Once she comes back she's a dream, but it's really scary to even be on the ground none-the-less on her back. If this sounds like a lot of noise and isn't making sense, I use a lot of natural horsemanship (Parelli techniques) for my ground work. It's good stuff and really tunes you in on your horse's feelings. But bottom line (sorry getting really long winded here) is the more GOOD experiences he has the more confident he'll become.

5. TBnut

TBnut Full Member

Thanks for your comments! Everyone has been so helpful. He has excellent ground manners. (The best I've ever seen and I've owned a lot of horses!) He just loves to go and he can be spooky at times. (He's a green horse) I really think it's a matter of mileage and I'm willing to take the time to build his confidence. I was just wondering if anyone had tried the ACE and if they thought it took the edge off and created a positive experience. I have decided not to try this method after hearing the general consensus! :)

6. passe831

passe831 Senior Member+

Have you heard of equine "chill"? It's a completely natural relaxant and works really well. It's completely safe for both horse and Human (but it tastes nasty for humans.. trust me ... my coach used it to calm me down once...:blushing:) Completely legal. We use it to get some of the newbies on the trailer and it works like a charm

7. mftx4

mftx4 Senior Member+

If you google equine herbs you'll find many natural herbs that will calm horses very well without drugs. Many are very effective and less expensive than synthetics.

8. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I have a friend that bought a retired reiner for her kid to show w/t. Well, it turned out it was aced every time it showed NRHA and still even in its twenties was not safe at shows. So acing in this case did not help the horse get over it over time.

9. slc

slc Senior Member

It's..ALIVE!

JKetsche likes this.