Giving Ace before a horse show??

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by TBnut, Jan 27, 2009.

1. RumorHasIt

RumorHasIt Full Member

Thanks for the Advice! I did not know that!:eek2: We just didnt want my pony to get hurt running around lol!

2. Taxi Jumper

Taxi Jumper Senior Member

I used to have that problem with my OTTB I took him to a smaller than small show and he got so anxious he was sweating just from his nerves. It was pretty terrible.

The solution for him was lunging. I would go early and lunge him until he got used to the area and calmed down. I had to do this for his first show season, now he is fine. My friend's 5 year old got on him and rode him around at the shows last summer.

A barn around my house used to ace their horses for small shows, they'd do it to boarders when the boarders didn't know about it. They had a horse die that way... they gave it some ACE and came back 20 minutes later and the horse had died.

3. LindaMM

LindaMM Senior Member

You and your trainer are the best judge.

I agree with folks that have said not to ride/show on the Ace. However.... having said that....

If your horse will get so entirely worked up that taking him to the show, even just to "hang-out", will cause him to have a bad experience, then use the Ace. A mildly sedated experience that ends pleasantly is much better than a nerve wracking experience that leave him wishing he never gets in a trailer ever again.

4. JKetsche

JKetsche Senior Member

If your horse gets that worked up just hanging out at shows, start smaller. Don't take him to a 300 horse A show or horse trial. Don't take him to a show with 3 arenas, cows everywhere, and big speaker systems. Go quiet places such as a nearby farm to school in their arena--or just to walk around their farm. Start during off hours (very early on a weekend, during the day on a weekday), then work up to the busy times. Once the horse can easily go school in a strange arena with strange riders/horses, introduce him to some things he might see at a show at home--let him see flags, let him hear a megaphone, etc. Then take him to a small schooling show. This should really not be that different from a moderately busy boarding barn. Then start letting him hang out at increasingly bigger/more intense shows and even riding him around. There are no shortcuts.

Friesiangirl likes this.
  5. OcsOutclassedYa

OcsOutclassedYa Registered

I dont think its a good idea.

I had a OTTB and he would flipout alot. but eventually after training at home and going to fun shows and making him see that it wasnt a big deal he began to relax and not freak out. slowing everything down after a fast pace life really helped him.

6. CowGirlUp1833

CowGirlUp1833 Senior Member+

I think using ACE is unacceptable. Usually it is used as a shortcut to proper training. I used to train at a barn with a coach that ACE'd every horse at every show - completely unethical and innappropriate in my opinion....not to mention, as many have said, illegal. He's lucky he never got busted.

7. CowGirlUp1833

Excellent post, you saved me from having to type that all out! LOL I completely agree...if your horse can't even "BE" at a show without having THAT much of a problem, they are NOT ready. I'm sorry, I've been dealing with hot, young, green horses for almost 20 years now and I have NEVER ACE'd a horse.

It is a shortcut, and there are other options. There are VERY VERY VERY few cases where a horse will not be managable after the proper time and training has been put in to expose them/desensitize them to those environments.

Again, perfect post.

8. jumpthemoon

jumpthemoon Senior Member+

It is my observation that USUALLY they only drug test the winners in the rated hunter divisions and jumper money classes. Perhaps that might why your former trainer was never busted? This is at the USEF rated/sanctioned level.

Personally, I have NO problem with Ace being given for things like handling a lay-up/rehab, clipping or trailering etc. However, if you would need to use Ace to ride or show a horse my opinion is you need to rethink your training program and the suitability of the horse for the job.

:)

9. txgray

txgray Senior Member

yeah, most local associations don't have any drug rules so technically it's not illegal

10. CowGirlUp1833

Exactly. :D