Girth pulling saddle back?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by sandstorm, Feb 4, 2017.

1. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

I agree with the breast collar for now. I see she is an ex-roper. This can be a nightmare for saddle fitting since the horse is worked and pulled usually in one direction sometimes for many years. I would ask for advice on how to strengthen her weak side and look into possible atrophy behind her scapula. Hopefully once she is more symmetrical, you can find the perfect saddle fit.

2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

A flocked saddle adjusted by a qualified fitter can deal with the asymmetrical issue, but the fitter should be consulted first to be sure that the particular design of the flocked saddle is adaptable to that particular horse's needs.

3. sandstorm

sandstorm Senior Member

Any breastplate suggestions? I have a 5 point Perri's in horse size that fits her shoulders well, but the strap that goes to the center of the girth is way too long even after punching new holes.

I'm working with a local fitter, and will probably settle for a wow saddle because of their adjustability. She didn't have all the right parts last week, so I'm just waiting for her next shipment to arrive. I haven't been working the horse too intensely right now because I don't want to create extra soreness from a pinching saddle.

4. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I wouldn't be riding in this saddle, not even with a breast plate. Straight up - the saddle is moving because it doesn't fit. It's trying to migrate to find "better ground"....but it isn't working.

This isn't a girthing issue, this is a saddle issue. So I would suggest riding bareback or not riding at all, until a saddle if found that stays in place.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    efiggy, mooselady and savethewhaley like this.
  5. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

For the most part I've only used anatomical girths on horses whose saddle slide back slightly. For example the horse in my avatar wore a breastplate for years but once I started using an anatomical girth he didn't need the breastplate anymore.

For your saddle an anatomical girth or a breastplate might help but the reality is for the saddle to migrate that much either your girth is crazy loose or the saddle really isn't fitting. Personally not something I'd be riding in.

6. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

@Preppy_Ponies

Even with a super loose girth it shouldn't migrate if it fits decently.

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Doesn't matter. The objective is to keep the saddle in the pocket.

8. GallopingGrape

GallopingGrape Senior Member

Ditto on breast collar, and using the first two billets to see if that helps.

9. Blue-Roan

Blue-Roan Full Member

No breastplate or girth is going to fix the issue with the fit. A well-fitting saddle shouldn't slip to such an extent, even without a girth or cinch.

I used to have a similar problem when an old saddle of mine didn't fit. It was way too tight in the shoulders, so it slipped back constantly. I stopped using it and sold it while my new saddle was en route. Nothing will fix poor fit, not breastplates or girths or corrective pads.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  10. Fancy That

Fancy That Senior Member

Wow, I have never seen a girth that wants to slide backwards!!! I've always seen horses that tend to have "forward girth groove" (quite common) and you need the saddle to "stay well back", and the girth wants to pull the saddle forward. Maybe that's just what I see with my breed (rotund Morgans)

Agree with comments to try and find a better fitting saddle, which I know you are doing. Also agree that an anatomic girth is made for a forward-girth-groove horse, so the bottom/center of girth can fit in that groove, and the ends sit further back to attach to the saddle. Keeping the saddle "well-back"

It's actually for the opposite of your horse.

I also think the build of your horse is doing this. The belly shape , both the bottom line and the sides. Like a cone on it's side.......the narrow part being towards the flanks.