Gift for a coming 1yo boy

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cschattner, May 19, 2018.

1. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

My sister's son is turning 1yo, yes the time flies I am feeling it. She is coming to visit from their home in California and we are throwing an early small bday since they will not be in town on his actual bday. I have very limited experience with children since I generally avoid them. The random fits and the drool are not my thing so I am clueless.
    I had to watch him for like an hour when I visited and thank god he slept the entire time. I can put in a car seat, change a diaper, warm up and give a bottle but once the puke hits I am OUT, PEACE LADIES IM GONE!
    Anyways I need to find a suitable gift that won't be unusable in a month. I am a practical gift giver, my sister knows this and will be suspicious if I don't give something in that realm. The baby shower I ended up getting help from some employees at the store. I think they enjoyed it since the place was dead and well helping a clueless future aunt is generally amusing.
    Help me HGS!

my sister like otters, owls, enjoys cute random clothing and vibrant colors. She dresses the boy up in both genders clothing so colors generally considered female are not out of the question.

JStorry likes this.
  2. AprilBride2012

AprilBride2012 Senior Member

Depending on your budget and travel time...

A toy box. Or cube shelving (6 cubes is just right for us) with brightly colored baskets. You can never have enough storage with these guys!

3. AprilBride2012

If you want more fun, dress up clothes (Melissa and Doug is good quality but pricey), Little People toys (he’s a touch young, but will love them in 4-6 months), diplomatically blocks, baby dolls. My son is always stealing my DD’s babies!

4. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

building blocks sound like a good idea. The shelving is nixed since I will have to ship it to her place after the party so I have to think about shipping costs. Dress up clothes sounds like a good idea. Maybe I can find an otter costume.

5. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Books. I love giving books.

Some good ones that he'll enjoy for a couple years are the ones by Mo Willems like Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus, Knufflebunny, and the Elephant and Piggie books. They're all really funny and fun to read. Dragons Love Tacos is good, but he'll be a little young for it (he'll love it soon enough though :) ) Read To Tiger. King Jack and the Dragon. No David. We're Going On A Bear Hunt, anything by Eric Carle. The Book With No Pictures (this book is fabulous but definitely for ages 3 and up or so.) We love Pinkalicious. Pat The Bunny. Guess How Much I Love You. The Circus Ship. Tails by Matthew Van Fleet (my nephews LOVED this one and went through a couple of these books because they loved it a little too hard/much.) Goodnight, Gorilla. Dada by Jimmy Fallon. Any Sandra Boynton book. Any of the How Do Dinosaurs books.

Books can be keepsakes. Books are something that can be passed down from sibling to sibling... or when he has his own kids.

I like to write a simple inscription.

6. AprilBride2012

Hand puppets! Imagination play and tons of fun.

7. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

OMG books, I am an idiot and yes puppets. All easy to pack into a box and can be abused with no harm done.

8. AprilBride2012

Last post and I’m going to bed. Lol.

Love this list!

I’d add the Chickies books. Bedtime for Chickies is one of our favorites.

“It’s bedtime for Chickies. It’s bedtime for sheep. It’s bedtime for pig and cow, let’s all go to...

Cheep cheep cheep! We can’t sleep! We need _______. “

Over and over and over.... that book and Llama Llama Red Pajama. Geez.

cschattner likes this.
  9. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

Can I just say that I love your title? Coming 1yr old. Haha
    As for gifts I have no idea. I avoid children. I've been told they are contagious... as in you hang around them and then you get one lol

Larkspade and cschattner like this.
  10. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

I just came here to say books.

My aunt gave me books, and I treasure them. :)

cschattner and ginster like this.