Getting Screwed

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by SassyCowgirl, Sep 8, 2017.

?

Grassbelly or Pregnant?

1. Grassbelly

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Pregnant

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. SassyCowgirl

SassyCowgirl Registered

A so-called friend of mine called me up and said her new step-dad's ex-wife was giving him some horses they needed somewhere to keep the horses for a little while, and someone to teach them how to care for and how to ride horses, and asked if they could put their horses on my Dads property and me teach them what they need to know about owning horses. Said they were getting three horses (2 older dead broke geldings and a young mare) and giving me the little mare as pasture rent and because she was wild and crazy and not broke. When the horses arrived they were super skinny and malnourished. I took on responsibility of her feed bill, her hoof bill, her worming, and now her vet bill. We've had these horses for approximately two and a half months and in this time this little mare, approximately 3-5 years old, has fattened up pretty well, I've had her on 14% sweet and all the pasture grass she could ever want. She's been wormed twice, ivermectin and Safeguard. I made the comment around these people that she's gotten so far she almost looks like she's pregnant. They have moved their horses to their own back yards, and are now harrassing me saying if my mare they gave me is pregnant then the foal is theirs because they gave me the mare. Both of their horses are geldings, and if she is pregnant we have no idea who the sire is. Never once did they say anything about her being pregnant or even looking like she could be pregnant until I spoke up about it first. And she's got it stuck in her head that I told her the foal was gonna be hers, never once did I make that agreement and there is no paperwork saying they gave me the horse but I have both of my farriers, my property owner, and soon my vet to vouch that she GAVE me the mare. She plainly stated she doesn't want the mare she wants the foal. So, with all that vented... What are the legalities to this? Does she have any rights to the foal, if my mare is pregnant?
    First two pictures are from three days ago, second two pictures were taken July 27th which was about two weeks after their arrival.

Attached Files:

2. 250girl

250girl Senior Member

If there's no paperwork there's no proof of anything . Seeing as they sound like thankless jerks anyways, tell the woman to pound sand.
    If she comes on your property , call the cops.
    Act fast and firm, with upmost clarity. Don't entertain user friendly morons.

Kappa, Binca, Serenity06 and 4 others like this.
  3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Get the vet out to have her checked. She looks pregnant to me...
    As for the people you got her from: what @250girl said....

4. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Have a vet out to check her. Neither of the wormers you gave her get rid of encysted strongyles. My vote is worm belly. Quest Plus will take care of that. As for a foal, it would be yours.

Faster Horses likes this.
  5. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

If someone did that to me I wouldn't speak to them again. No calls, no texts, I wouldn't even give them the courtesy of knowing if she was bred or not.

Anyhow, looks like a grass/worm belly to me. It's kind of late in the year for a horse to be foaling (although that doesn't remotely mean she couldn't be.) So if she isn't bagging up or anything like right now, I probably wouldn't count on it.

6. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

In most states the foal is considered the property of the mares owner unless there is a written contract stating otherwise.

But this is how I,would deal with this. Tell them that you need them to give your vet their credit card information, so the vet can come ultrasound and give her the necessary foaling vaccinations. Tell them that the vet will need to be out for a visit post foaling as well and that if all is well you expect that vet bills will be about $1500, if there are issues like needing plasma or hernia repair to add another $1500. Give them a boarding contract with a monthly charge until weaning, a good growth formal will be about $100 a month. If they step up and pay the bills and take the foal it reduces your cost. If they don't want to pay they will walk away from it and that will be the end of the conflict.

Kappa, Blue-Roan, Binca and 8 others like this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

You can't keep the foal. It doesn't matter what the farrier and vet say. She isn't yours. You have no proof of anything. And that was a bad mistake you made. Live and learn.

Why do you even want the foal? Because they do? The foal can't be registered, the mare obviously hasn't been fed or wormed adequately til you got her, no one knows IF she's pregnant, or if she's just got a belly full of worms, OR if she's got a belly full of worms AND a foal, and if she DOES have a foal in there, who knows what the sire is or if the foal will even have four legs, none of which sound good to me.

I'd give 'em everything back "hat, you know what and hand basket".

They are the kind of people anyone would pay handsomely to have out of her life. You can get rid of them for free and chalk it up to a lesson learned - no written contract, no horse sets foot on your land.

They don't pay, you see. They are used to not paying and they aren't GOING to pay fair and square. For anything.

Kristal H's scheme MIGHT get them out, but it also might not. Like I said, they are used to and are probably only set up for, a free or pretty free, ride.

You tell them the horses will be tied to their mailbox when they come home from work that night(you can't legally do that, but you can light a fire under them to get the horses out).

Now. What have we learned? What do you do/say when someone says any of these things?

"I have the perfect horse for you."

"I have a philosophy about training horses."

"I have a friend who knows nothing about horses and just bought three and wants a cheap place to keep them for a few months and free lessons in horse care."

The most important thing you'll ever learn in the horse industry is when to turn and run very fast in the other direction screaming and waving your arms.

Can't do that? People with think you are 'crazy'? There are situations in which that is the best of all possible worlds.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  8. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Slc
    She can keep the foal since they gave her the mare. Unless stayed prior to the mate being given to her the surprise foal is the new owner.
    No breeding contract so no legal obligation to hand the foal over.

Amarea, Serenity06 and 250girl like this.
  9. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

With nothing in writing....

And I have to agree with the sentiment that given the circumstances of the foal coming to be are pretty much unknown, there's little value in acquiring it. With so many horses "out there" already, another undocumented one doesn't bring much to the table.

I'd be more concerned with recouping any costs that are related to the mare being pregnant, if there are any. Even though you have nothing in writing, it's reasonable to ask for that, IMHO. (Although it sounds like you may not get much if anything from those folks...)

10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

If yo don't have any paperwork stating mare is tours, get some now. NOW.
    Don't mention any potential baby or anything, say you need it for your financial advisor for a balance sheet or something like that. But GET A BILL OF SALE.
    Then, as far as I know, she and any potential baby are legally yours. But hopefully there is no baby.

Serenity06 likes this.