Getting Off Social Media

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mcdreamer, Apr 15, 2018 at 7:11 AM.

1. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

I'm only on FB, I *think* I have most of my privacy settings set as private as I can, and I very, very rarely post anything personal on it. I primarily use it for my business and for buying/selling horses and tack. I usually don't accept friend requests from people I don't know, although I do need to go through and do another "friend cleanup."

If you don't *need* FB and you want to get rid of it, go for it! Its not a necessary part of life.

Mcdreamer and Circle C like this.
  2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I do a FB cleanup every few months.
    I like posting pics of my animals too much to delete it lol

3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

My family is spread all over the country. Actually, the world when I think about it. I also have horse friends from all over as well as school friends.

I am only friends with people I actually know in some way. Some I know from groups like this but they are people I have an established relationship and some are very long-term. Those people are like family. Others ARE family.

I like it because I do feel connected to people who are far away from me. I email sometimes, I call sometimes, and I snail mail sometimes. But I can log on Facebook and see that my great-nephew hit a home run in a Little League game and see the picture. Or that my sister went to a ball game. Or my son had a good day with friends. The type of thing I'd talk about with them if I saw them every day. I don't see them every day, so for me it's nice.

I don't have any friends who post a lot of memes or political rants. Anyone who did got ignored or unfriended because that's not why I'm there. I just keep the people whose stuff I enjoy seeing.

Mcdreamer and Pirate like this.
  4. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I like FB :oops:

I clean out my friends list fairly often. I'm either friends in real life, family, or friends from here. My privacy settings have always been tight. I have had the apps turned off for a long time.

I have family near and far. For me it is a good way to see pictures, hear about life announcements, and joke around. I like buying and selling via FB; that's how I found Willow (y)

I'm pretty bothered about all the nasty stuff coming to light with the Cambridge Analytica thing... but honestly... it is a FREE service. You don't get something for nothing. Of course the data is/was valuable.

I've found several companies I otherwise wouldn't have found, mostly horse related: Connected Rider, Backroads Trading, Ace in the Hole, Behind the Bit... many have been great finds for things like show clothing, equine related gifts, and tack.

mooselady likes this.
  5. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Couple years ago Facebook came up with the wild accusation and suddenly closed page that I had been phishing people. What-the.... :no: :help:. I responded, sent emails and did capchas til I was sick of them... my page, which was just a fan page for BOs rescue, could not get reopened. And I quickly and ultimately decided FB was not worth that aggravation, if they were literally going to be Closed minded about something unfounded. Ive never sunk to the level of phish anybody. I dont know if it was a spite flag by someone BO as having problems with on her page, as it was about the same time I posted saddles for sale to benefit rescue, with BOs permission on rescue page. After that I could not see BOs page, since I could not get the lock off my own/ login. And it was about the time I was involved in plans to drive out of state for a memorial, which complicated some of the notices and communications Unnecessarily. So buh-bye FB. I only go on it to see the salehorse page in case theres something I think BO should be aware of thats a good candidate to be Bailed etc. As for "log in or sign up to see more" on FB/ pages.... Nope. I Dont know what their problem, issue, complaint, "justification" etc was, but if they cant identify, or at least resolve it, I dont need them or that aggravation either. And thats not childish sour grapes, its the response/ reaction of an angry, aggravated adult.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 1:30 PM
    ginster likes this.
  6. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I had something similar happen with eBay. :rolleyes:

7. ParkedOut

ParkedOut Senior Member

I killed my FB page last year sometime. I miss the connections with people I only know on the internet... but it’s been good for me.

I spent way too much time on it. Plus my extended family aggravates the hell out of me. So being able to not see their opinions on every little thing has been awesome.

I also killed my Twitter, which I never used. And my instagram.

I officially have zero social media. And it’s been great. I have Feedly for checking local news.

And all my real friends can text me if they want. Or email. I’ve have the same phone and email for 10 plus years. I’m not hard to find.

Mcdreamer likes this.
  8. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

I have been taking a trial run of not checking my social media (besides Instagram) and it’s been glorious. I read a lot more and tbag constant addictive impulse to reach for my phone is gone.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.